Chrome paint for throttle body????

N!ck-z

Can anybody tell me where I can get hold of chrome paint that will be suitable for the throttle body (ie high temp resistant?). I started (attempting!) to polish the Plenum today but have read of problems experienced with polishing the throttle body. Had a search with google but found nothing suitable. This is the only way I can think of sorting it out without polishing it..... any other suggestions if I cant get hold of some?

Thanks

Nick

I know a place in up near where I am based that will powdercoat (they quoted £35-£40 for the plenum in any colour I want) but I was led to believe that causes the same problem as polishing (which to be honest I dont fully understand!).

Ill check B&Q and Halfords out thanks.

what problems are you reffering to?

i'm not sure what you've been told, the only one i know of is not to polish with steel bits as you can contaminate the ally.

and the way round that is to use scotchbrite pads.

me personally i wouldn't do it, as i'm crap at keeping the engine bay clean, and you'll need to top it up with autosol or it will eventually return to its old shape.

hence why i'm going carbon.

It was a post I'd read on here a while ago, abut Phil from ESR reccomending not to polish it, but the problems were never specified. Unfortunately I've already started... I like a challenge, but if it does go t**s up, it would be a great excuse to get one of the carbon ones with inbuilt spacers being sold here!

It was a post I'd read on here a while ago, abut Phil from ESR reccomending not to polish it, but the problems were never specified. Unfortunately I've already started... I like a challenge, but if it does go t**s up, it would be a great excuse to get one of the carbon ones with inbuilt spacers being sold here!

I remember phil mentioning that you shouldn't have them polished or powder coated too mate. Phil got it polished on my car though so it is possible

I remember phil mentioning that you shouldn't have them polished or powder coated too mate. Phil got it polished on my car though so it is possible

It is possible to polish, but the hit rate is quite low, which is why he never offered it. He sent a few away, and some came back working, but some didnt. They couldnt work out why IIRC so didnt offer it as a service to customers. PC it, I dont know, but wouldnt expect the heat to play nicely with the electronics in the throttle.

I've got a polished throttle body that ESR polished up last year sitting around somewhere. Apparently it doesn't work now.

Personally, unless you are going for a show car you would be better off painting the TB and get the the plenum powder coated, at a rough cost of £30 to £40. It'll look like new then, and just a quick wipe over now and again to keep it clean. Sorted :thumbs: