Mac users - hoping for some advice

jim

I am looking to purchase a 1Tb hard drive for my iMac, mainly for Time Machine backups to store a large collection of photos and music. I have considered the Apple Time capsule, but at £230 it's a bit steep, considering I don't think I need the other facilities it offers such as wi-fi networking, server-type storage etc. Having said that, we also use a Macbook, and I can see that there might be advantages in terms of file transfer between the two computers, even though the Bluetooth system seems to work quite well for that.

I have looked at a couple of others, such as the LaCie Poulton 1Tb (£110 from the Apple Store, but £72 from Amazon and others), the Freecom Classic 1Tb (approx. £100), the Iomega Minimax at £120, the Iomega Ultramax at £130 and Western Digital My Book at £130. All of these get a mixture of very good reviews and the occasional howler, making it very difficult to judge what are the most reliable products.

Do any of you have any experience of these drives, and can you advise me of any to avoid altogether?

Thanks in anticipation. :thumbs:

TBH mate drives these days are pretty reliable so I'd just go with the cheapest as you only want data storage. You dont need a super fast drive especially if you are doing stuff via Wifi and time machine runs in the background so you wont even notice it. If you arent really bothered about the money I'd go with the Time Capsule though as you know it definitely works without any software hacks.