Help required on home computer networks

Muddy

Hope someone can help.

I have a desktop PC plugged into an Orange wireless livebox.

I also have a laptop that I can connect to the orange livebox for internet wirelessly.

What I want to do is for the laptop to talk to my desktop PC so I can share files etc etc.

I guess that I need a wireless router for me to acheived this.

So I went to PC World (Yes I know) and asked their advice. They suggested a Belkin N150 enhanced wireless router. It was within my budget.

I've since got it home and loaded it all up.

I seem to now have a problem with the new belkin router not being able to get internet from the Orange livebox (Even though If I plug the livebox back into the PC internet works).

I've just spent 2 hours on this and am getting quite mad :rant: Should only be plug and play for gods sake, why do they have to be so complicated.

I've tried all variants within the settings page and even manually configured the IP address etc, but still no joy.

All the belkin is doing is flashing the internet led to say it's lost or cannot find an internet connection.

Can anybody through any light on my situation :teeth: I've tried the belkin website but that's useless. No support there at all.

Cheers

Craig

Not very familar with the livebox, but doesn't that need a router... The guy at PC World is having you, the livebox should have a router built in.

Perhaps the reasons why you don't see your computers in your local network are your firewall settings on computer/laptop? Usually they are set to block most stuff, if you are using the livebox you probably don't need a firewall on either computers (the livebox is a firewall).

Does this make sense? I'm looking for some more helpful links...

Take your router back to PC world in any case and give them a few words

I think another problem is that your new router is also a wireless, which means you have two wireless stations (livebox and new router) which would confuse things even more.

My step to step guide at this point:

- disconnect your new router

- reconnect your PC to the livebox as it was originally

- reboot the livebox

Now check that both pc and laptop can connect to the the internet.

Now, I suggest you follow this link on both your PCs (assuming you use Windows XP?)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... fault.mspx

and also read about here

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... fault.mspx

on a few more advanced topics. Hope this helps

Cheers.

I agree with what zDans saying... if you can connect wirelessly to you orange box from your laptop then you dont need a router. You simply need to setup a connection on each PC.

On each computer go to Start>run and type CMD and press enter.

This will get you a command prompt. In here, type ipconfig and hit enter. Note down your local ip address of your computer (it may be listed as an ipv4 address).

Now in windows explorer go to Tools>Map Network Drive, select any drive letter, and in the lower box, type the following - '\\ipaddress of other pc\root' and tick reconnect at logon, and that should be it.

Thanks guys, your right :notworthy: disconnected the Belkin router and left the livebox as it was, lowered the firewall on nortons on the laptop and I can file share using the Livebox :teeth:

Just need to get the wife's work laptop working now as I can't seem to get it to connect to the livebox somehow?

I'll try your way Marzman.

Also spent 2+ hours trying to get a new x box 360 wireless adaptor to connect to the livebox, it sees the network but won't/can't connect even when I've entered the WEP passcode. :rant::rant:

Oh and that will be the last time I shall take advice from an assistant at PC world :rant: They had best give me my money back!!!

I may be posting again, when I'm at a loss with the other laptop and X box. :teeth:

Just out of interest, with your laptop/pc turned off, try connecting up the xbox/other laptop again? Wonder if there is a limit on simultaneous connections?

Depending on how this works laptop is setup, it may be tied down with group policy perhaps? What kind of errors are you getting from it when you try to add the wireless connection?

Just out of interest, with your laptop/pc turned off, try connecting up the xbox/other laptop again? Wonder if there is a limit on simultaneous connections?

Depending on how this works laptop is setup, it may be tied down with group policy perhaps? What kind of errors are you getting from it when you try to add the wireless connection?

I'll give it a try, strangely I was thinking the same myself. (The missus also said it too).

Also, looking into the Livebox settings, it only has the home laptop connected to it, so I might remove it and try the other laptop and xbox to see if there is a "limit" to how many devices I can connect to the live box.

No errors at present, just won't connect to the network, both can see the network and allow me to enter the WEP key but won't connect (Both work laptop and xbox).

It'll be tonight now before I can check, but thanks :thumbs:

Thanks for all the help guys.

Got everything working now.

Laptop was connected with Livebox using pair button (Should have thought about that :blush: )

Firewall lowered on both laptop and Desktop PC so I can file transfer, also associated Windows media to allow files ahoring, so I can see all my albums on my laptop now.

Wireless adaptor plugged into Xbox, paired with livebox and now working :yahoo: It's done a download and now has the new revised login and aviatars.

Shares my music from the desktop which I can now play on the xbox through my surround amp :teeth:

Played online for the first time last night; Call of duty 4, wow I'm not that good at the game but it was awesome :teeth:

Looks like I have the gamer bug. Just got to get a few more games sorted.

Off to PC world on thirsday to return their router :rant:

i know your pain, i used to use the orange live box, and the biggest problem with it is its a rubbish piece of kit, took so much fiddling to sort it all out, had similar problems, and if you changed something on one it threw the network out.

my advice if you ever plan to change ISP go with the o2 wireless setup. there box was a breeze and xbox connected without any fiddling in setup. and the internet works 10 times better than when with orange, only got 2mb with orange get 8mb with o2