Oil, what type?

B3N

morning all

me again

I was thinking about putting castrol 10w40 magnetec (prob a typo) in the z.

I used castrol rs 10w60 in the s2000 and it was fantastic.

10w40 magnetec the rite choice??

regards,

Ben

Morning Ben.

The first two posts in the FAQ section here:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

should help you out with oil questions.

Also the chap known as "oilman" on the forum from opie oils, will be able to advise of this months prices on any specific oil you want to go for.

Hope that helps! :teeth:

Chris.

There is only one decent oil in all the earth ;) ... AMSOIL!

I've used it in my Leggie since I've had it (and they're very fussy cars with 4500 mile service intervals :surrender: ), and the Z will be getting it soon. I'm just waiting for it to have done 5000 miles on the rubbish that Nissan put in at the last service (before I bought it) so I can send a sample off to the lab for analysis.

Expensive stuff, but awesome. Website here. Superb advice and excellent service.

I'll speak to Don and see if I can arrange a club discount - I'm sure he'll be happy to. CulbVR4 gets 10%; free delivery if you order more than £100 worth.

In fact, here's don's reply to my original enquiry about the Z. I've linked the oil references so you can just click to see what he's talking about: The three letter codes are at the bottom of the oil descriptions on the Amsoil web page (So eg, TSO is the code for 'Amsoil Fully Synthetic 0W-30(2000)

SERIES 2000 Severe Service Engine Oil'

Hi Don

We've just bought a Nissan 350Z, and I wondered what your amsoil recommendations would be for the engine and gearbox?

The book says:

Engine 5W-30

gbox: Nissan gear oil or API GL-4, 75W-85

Diff: API GL-5, 80W-90

Do you do an oil filter?

The car had a service recently (before we bought it), and had some non-descript semisynthetic engine oil according to the invoice. I think I'll send some off in one of your sample kits when we've done 5000 miles, and see what the result is. Then I'll change to amsoil.

The car is still under manufactureres warranty, so I'll probably have to be careful of straying too far from their spec initially - they might blame any failures on the oil.

Bernard

Very nice car.

Oils are very much the same as for a VR4.

We do ASL a 5w-30as per manufacturers recomendations. TSO may well be over the top unless you are seriously going to track it!!!

Gearbox is again like the VR4 ie MTG which is a GL4

Diff is SVGwhich is a GL5.

And even the filter is the same SDF/EAO -13; as are all nissan engines ( but not all engines that are in nissans) .

You should have no problem over a dealer fitting any of these products as all are as per manufacturers spec and then some. Additionally given that they are all of at least required spec it would be illegal for a dealer to even suggest that there might be a warranty issue or refuse to use them. Their servicing departments do love to put in a cheap semi syn though and charge their customers the earth. Its an easy big margin and times are hard. Never make the mistake in believing that a dealer wants to assist you with the longevity of your car , beyond the warranty period theat is.

Ben..

Looks like we joined the 350z 'crew' :D about the same time.

How do you find the Z compared to the S2000?

I rememeber you on S2ki.

Rob

#

really?

:bye:

alot smoother on the motorways and way much more torque :thumbs:

the S was an awesome car for weekens and summer but hard to live with in the winter months

how you finding urs rob?

Love it mate, if im honest much better than the S.

The S was great fun but not on par with the 350.

I havent driven it much yet as its still off the road. Was waiting fo rwheels to be refurbd but now as hey cant be done ive bought new ones so should be back on the road monday :teeth:

• 2 weeks later...
Amsoil is pretty good stuff, PAO synthetic and a good one at that.

They are not the best though, the ester based synthetics have the edge.

Not Correct.

All Amsoil synthetic oils are full synthetics in the UK and are made from a blend of PAO and esters of various forms to maximise the qualities desired & produce a product superior to either PAO or Ester / Diester.

I have never seen an independant test (or any other kind of test for that matter ) where Motul is shown to be superior to Amsoil; nor have I ever seen a test where Silkolene is shown to be superior to Motul, but i stand to be corrected here.

Please do search the web yourselves to verify this.

The offical statement from Amsoil is here:-

https://www.amsoil.com/faqs/faq8.aspx :thumbs:

Regards Don

Guest prescience

The above demands a response, whic I have no doubt will be forthcoming ;)

W.ot putting words into Simon's/Guy's mouth (as if I could :blush:), I have never seen them draw a distinction between Motul and Silkolene - 2 oils which they have steadfastly recommended as being suitable for the Z whilst and since exceeding Nissan's requirements.

I'm sure motul and silkolene will be more than suitable and will exceed nissan recommendation, but I think we are talking about what's BEST... I for once will be curious to see these tests results with the Amsoil off Bernmc, also tempted to get a test kit for my own engine and do one since I've been running the motul (not the same batch, before any smartarse says anything :bleh:) for over 14k miles

As the man says all 3 will easily exceed Nissans recomendations, I do rate Motul. But do you pay an extra 25% or so above the Amsoil price for Motul when testing in the States shows Amsoil to outperform? A further consideration is that the 350Z requires 4.7L and Motul comes in 2 L cansso you will have to get 6 L. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Motul there is not but just consider the Amsoil which Opie Oils also stock.

Its also available from Performance Oils at a club discount here:-

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/pet ... e_oil.html

Its a topsy turvy world and rarely does the very best come cheapest but in the UK at this time Amsoil may well be the cheapest real synthetic. :thumbs:

I'm sure motul and silkolene will be more than suitable and will exceed nissan recommendation, but I think we are talking about what's BEST... I for once will be curious to see these tests results with the Amsoil off Bernmc, also tempted to get a test kit for my own engine and do one since I've been running the motul (not the same batch, before any smartarse says anything :bleh:) for over 14k miles

• 2 months later...

At the end of the day we are talking performance levels on all these oils that way exceed API or ACEA tests.

These oils, Motul, Silkolene, Amsoil (and some others) are better than the average so called synthetic on the shelf.

It's a question of what you do with your car, driving style or modding that determines the oil recommendation.

Personally I am a big fan of all the oils I stock otherwise they would not be on the shelf.

The best test of a good oil is the Customer feedback and all of these oils are used and tested by my Customers in the real world and they stand up to punishment.

Are they overkill?

No, in my opinion they are insurance.

Cheers

Simon