Newbie detailer here

webber

After reading a few threads in this forum I realised that I actually know very very little about car detailing....

I have recently bought a 54plate Gunmetal Gt and the paintwork is already in pretty good condition, feels very smooth to the touch and has clearly been regularly waxed/polished (dont actually know the difference if i'm honest!)

I usually just use Megs gold class liquid wax and thats about it really! But I have ordered some poorboys wheel sealant and also some Zaino z8 grand finale sealant to use on top of the gold class.

Is this likely to be a good combination? or should I also be looking to clay bar the car first, then apply some kind of paint cleaner before waxing and sealing?

Any advice greatfully recieved :thumbs:

Like most hobby detailers I started with a bottle of Super Resin Polish and some enthusiasm.

Best thing to do is start with some decent wax friendly shampoo. You didn't mention what you use to wash it?

Second thing is ALWAYS use the two bucket method. I'm going to teach you to suck eggs but if you want more info I'm always willing to share.

I always like to clay a car when I get it and then do it about every six months or when it needs it afterwards. I always follow this up with a polish. There are many about however something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish is great to apply by hand and really improves the look of the car by filling swirls along the way.

After this you could wax. Us anal detailing types add a few more steps in between polishing and waxing but don't worry about them just now! The gold glass wax glass is fine to use and I've seen decent results with it however you'd be better (IMO) buying a proper wax to use for decent protection and it will work nicely with the Z8.

Also as an introductory item the Meguiars three stage is alright. Over time you'll pick up other products but to start with it's great.

The wheel sealant is great. If you want to be super geeky then whip off the wheels and give them a good clean with shampoo / safe wheel cleaner, clay and then a couple of thin layers of the wheel sealant.

Plenty of keen and pro detailers on here so don't be afraid to ask!

Some good info there, thanks for that :thumbs:

I had previously always just used a cheap wash and wax shampoo and didnt use the two bucket method :bangin: ...but since reading some of the info on this forum I've adopted the two bucket method and had been using the Meguiars gold class shampoo as well which i'm hoping is ok.

I'll give it a go with a clay bar, and polish then wax and Z8 as recommended.

I was looking at getting some of the R222 'Concours-Look' Carnauba Wax. It looked to be fairly good value. Any experience of using it at all?

I was looking through some other posts and noticed the Swissvax best of show.... and almost had a heart attack when i saw the price of it :lol:

Make sure you use a quick detailer of some soapy water with the claybar otherwise you will end up doing more harm than good dragging grit around.

There are so many different combo's of products and techniqes it's all down to personal preferance and trail and error.

:thumbs:

R

On the right tracks for sure!

Watch the dilution rates for gold class... less is better! I use it for stripping protection as it's quite aggressive! Works too well when too much is used!

R222 as mike says is a great looking wax with not too much protection. If you use it regularly though you won't go wrong!

Thanks guys,

I've ordered a few bits and this is my plan

Wash - Gold class shampoo / two bucket method

Clay - megs quick clay kit

Polish - AG Super resin polish

Wax - R222 carnauba

Sealant - Zaino z8 grand finale / poorboys wheel sealant.

Now all i need is a dry day and plenty of time! Hopefully it should come up quite nicely :)

Sounds like a good starter list for me. What you soon learn is just to give new products a go, so only buy small bottles and tubs to start with unless you end up wasting them when you want to try something new and you are only half way through one :blush:

Thanks guys,

Wax - R222 carnauba

Now all i need is a dry day and plenty of time! Hopefully it should come up quite nicely :)

Tyre dressing?

Thanks guys,

Wax - R222 carnauba

Tyre dressing?

+ some plastic protectant too??

Ahh yes, i normally just use AG Vinyl and Rubber care... again I imagine there are better products out there but this has always done the job so far :thumbs:

Vinyl and rubber care is fine. No point in replacing stuff for the sake of it.

A good reasonably priced tyre dressing is Meguiars endurance. It smells good too. It's one of the better ones.