Tyres & Brakes - Dealer or Garage

timc2001

Hi All,

Quick question, I have my service and MOT in October later this year. However, I don't certain bits on my car will hold out to then, and I need to get some new pads (possible discs too) and tyres.

I wondered, from experience, of these items, which I could get anywhere (reputable dealer), and which I should get from the dealer?

I fugred the dealer will probably charge OTT for tyres, but wasn't too sure on the brakes...

Cheers,

Tim

my local nissan dealer wanted £154 for just the front pads, a local garage did the same job for £83 (think it was) so almost half the price.

hope the above helps :)

Cheers all.

May need discs because the pads have been scratching into them. I'm not sure if I've left it too late or not.

Too be honest, I'm not very mechanically minded, so only reason I think the pads need changing is due to the loud squeaking which has started out of nowhere....

Tyres just have low tread...

Not scraping, just a squeaky noise when pulling up to traffic lights etc....I thought the squeaky noise was the warning the pads were low, but not down to the metal??

It may be the wear indicators if you have oem pads - (little metal clips that rub against the disc when the pads get low).

If its just the wear indicator touching the disc then you'll probably just be removing the corroded lip on the disc, which is no bad thing! :lol:

I got a full set of redstuff pads from CS, and got them fitted locally for £63, which I thought was cheap... until I noticed the brake fluid had overflowed from the reservoir cos they'd not removed any! :rant:

Where abouts in Berkshire are you mate? If Fleet isnt too far away from you, look up TGM Sport. Tom and the team are very helpful and good guys. Get them to let you know what you need and order it from CS (pads and discs), and order the tyres straight to them from Camskills. Tell them we sent you and they'll look after you. Far far cheaper than Nissan. Remember to take cash ;)