Speedo Issue

Dene8

Hi all,

I’ve searched to see if I can find anything but no joy, so here goes...........

Last week my speed (both analogue and digital) stopped working, I’ve checked all fuses. Just wondered if anyone knew what the next step of fault finding involves?

Does the 350z use a wound cable direct from the gearbox to the Speedo like cars of old or does it have a sender unit and is done via digital-ness...? It's been converted to MPH at some point in its life so should i check this connection first and where is the conversion unit wotsit?

Sorry for all the questions but I’m relying on my sat-nav as a speedometer at the mo' :blush: and really could do with this being resolved........

Cheers

Dene

Do your indicators still make a clicking noise when they're on?

I've blown the fuse before which controls that noise, and the speedo's. Its the one directly below the empty slot in the footwell fuse box... 15A i think.

If it still makes the indicator noise, it must be something else. I know that the speed pulse wire comes through the AC Control Unit which is a white box in the center console - you need to remove the gear surround to get to it. If i were you i'd get a multimeter and check that its producing a signal when you're moving (get someone else to drive perhaps :p ).

See my thread below detailing which pin the speed wire is:

"Now, the VSS wire is found on the middle plug (grey - M49), and is pin 26 - which if you're looking down on it is the top row, 3rd hole from the left. My wire was brown with a white stripe. I found the wiring info in this document - on page 47: "

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18962

Do your indicators still make a clicking noise when they're on?

I've blown the fuse before which controls that noise, and the speedo's. Its the one directly below the empty slot in the footwell fuse box... 15A i think.

If it still makes the indicator noise, it must be something else. I know that the speed pulse wire comes through the AC Control Unit which is a white box in the center console - you need to remove the gear surround to get to it. If i were you i'd get a multimeter and check that its producing a signal when you're moving (get someone else to drive perhaps :p ).

See my thread below detailing which pin the speed wire is:

"Now, the VSS wire is found on the middle plug (grey - M49), and is pin 26 - which if you're looking down on it is the top row, 3rd hole from the left. My wire was brown with a white stripe. I found the wiring info in this document - on page 47: "

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18962

Pretty sure the indicators are still click clocking and no fuses are blown so i'll check to see if there is a signal/voltage coming from said pin and update with my findings.........

also just been on egay as i want one of those Speed Visio thingy's, theyre all like £80 tho' :dry:

I'm 300miles away in Durham im afraid :lol:

i know the box you mean tho' the big white thing yeah :thumbs: I'll have a play tonight and hopefully it will be resolved...........

where is the box of tricks that converts the signal from kph to mph.........?

Dene

I'm 300miles away in Durham im afraid :lol:

i know the box you mean tho' the big white thing yeah :thumbs: I'll have a play tonight and hopefully it will be resolved...........

where is the box of tricks that converts the signal from kph to mph.........?

Dene

I think the kmh - mph converter is inside the speedo housing.

The visio things are £80?? I think i mapd £27 or something like that, and i was gutted as the guy had sold one for £17 the week before. Defo get one though - it makes a huge difference when driving, i cant live without it!

Good luck with the problem.

Sounds like BCM control module under the radio in the centre condole.

disconnect the box and refit this sometimes works.

Gave this a try last night and still no speedo, next step is to take my clocks apart and check to see if the signal is reaching them........ I'm actually quite enjoying this diagnostic stuff! :p

Gave this a try last night and still no speedo, next step is to take my clocks apart and check to see if the signal is reaching them........ I'm actually quite enjoying this diagnostic stuff! :p

Did you check the info i showed you? No point in dismantling the speedo if you can check the VSS (vehicle speed sense) wire from the AC Control unit. If your POD speedo isnt working either then its unlikely to be your speedo.

Also, long shot, but if you end uup needing to replace your speedo - lomoto has one for sale currently.

Did you check the info i showed you? No point in dismantling the speedo if you can check the VSS (vehicle speed sense) wire from the AC Control unit. If your POD speedo isnt working either then its unlikely to be your speedo.

Also, long shot, but if you end uup needing to replace your speedo - lomoto has one for sale currently.

if you replace the speedo i'll have the broken one :D

if you replace the speedo i'll have the broken one :D

Husky, PM tim (lomoto). I mentioned on his thread that you or Dene8 may be interested.

Se here: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=22261

Without the use of a volt meter wotsit I’m limited to what I could check, I did however have my AC control out and found the VSS wire you mentioned :thumbs: I'll beg, borrow or steal I volt meter @ the weekend before ripping my dash apart. :thumbs:

I always thought the pod speedo ran from the analogue speedo..... As the kmph to mph conversion chip is on the analogue speedo yet the digi pod also displays the mph signal....? :wacko:

I always thought the pod speedo ran from the analogue speedo..... As the kmph to mph conversion chip is on the analogue speedo yet the digi pod also displays the mph signal....? :wacko:

Thats a good shout... you may be right. :blush:

Dene, I have speedo and BCM in stock. I will call you now about meeting tonight mate and can plug in to do diagnostics.

Cheers Lee, what time do you want me there.....? Trying to figure out if i've got time to pop home after work ;) i'll just wait for your phone call :thumbs:

I'll report back with my speedo findings, with a little help from R35LEE i'm sure it'll be sorted :teeth: