CF plenum+spacer, UPDATE pg24

scottsoulby

Hi everyone...

Im not wishing to step on toes of people in the process of selling carbon parts, but i may be starting up selling various parts in carbon fibre and fiberglass.

Basically, ive been in talks with a company that makes custom parts and moulds OEM parts in carbon fibre for the racing industry, motor GP and Touring cars, hes put forward to me that i can buy moulds, for example a bonnet and keep them at his workshop for future sales, obviously the moulds will cost ALOT more than just buying one, which is why i would need a bit of interest.... I wouldnt be starting of with large items like a bonnet, but i would start with smaller items like:

engine covers

brake and fluid cover

a stock Air intake with pipe in carbon,

also he said i could have plenum covers in carbon that resist heat upto 800 degrees C,

B pillar covers/ replacements

sill replacements

and i would hopefully providing the interest and my money situation to go onto dash parts and centre console replacements in carbon fibre, he also mention custom making bonnets and splitters, nearly everything is possible providing i can get the OEM parts to make the moulds from. Moulds would take 6-7 weeks to make, but once there done he said the turnaround time to make the parts is around 7 days

This sounds like a ramble, which it probably is, as im a little excited by the thoughts of it, like i said ill start small and work up, just need interest in parts. also they will be cheaper than the current market which is a big bonus.

So what are your thoughts? and any questions?

also can mods get in touch with me to check wether im allowed to do this type of thing and help me if this goes ahead to stay on board with forum rules

Thanks

Scott

That's what I thought, it's different to the polished plenums people get, also getting the stock airbox replaced with a carbon fibre one, I can get alsorts done, little things like the headlight washer covers in carbon

I just need a few people to buy them to make it worth me buying the mould, otherwise it will cost me a bomb just to make a couple

I Thought there would be more interest on this? Especially in the more common items?

there is another company just started offereing similar parts, and people are watching the interior parts on that i would think. plus there are several others doing similar products.

if it was me i would try and find the niche, something no one else is doing. and the things you mentioned that jumped out were parts no one else offers as yet. like the washer jet covers, the plenum.

i think the plenum might have the biggest returns, there are a few people who like the kinetix plenum but don't trust it from cracking. as apparently the new revised ones still do. if you could offer a plenum that increased the air to the front 2 cylinders like the kinetix does, but made form CF which shouldn't crack you could be onto a winner. not just here vut on the yank forums as well.

i love the polished plenum but i can't be arsed to polish my own or keep it maintained as well.

I see where your going with this, so basically to do things that people would be interested in that nobody else does, like the plenum with an unbuilt spacer, the headlight washers, maybe my own designed bonnet with the eyelids built in, the nismo bumper carbon centre cover...

What else do you think that would be good and unique? I may be able to get prices tommorrow

Ok guys, I've been there today, as tech carbon are doing interior I'm going to focus on the engine bay and a couple of exterior parts

I should be receiving mould prices later of:

carbon plenum with unbuilt spacer - will be alot stinger than the kinetix and able to use oem strut

battery-brake-and engine covers in carbon

radiator cover in carbon

carbon intake pipe

headlight washer covers in carbon

and a Z badge copied from the 350z badge big enough to cover the holes in carbon

The turn around will be around 2 weeks for everything apart from the plenum which will take a while longer

Right..... Prices....

This is an approximation at the moment... But the moulds are quite expensive, especially the plenum...

So..

CF plenum with inbuilt 5/16 spacer and fitting kit to fit under oem strut would be around the £250 mark and that's if I got a few orders

engine cover in pure CF would be around £100 again a few orders needed

battery and brake fluid covers would be around £75

headlight washer covers would be around £25 a set

CF Intake pipe designed from the pipercross kit but smooth so no nasty welds would be around £100

I'll be getting prices on the badge, the radiator cover and maybe a rear diffuser hopefully sooner than later

the plenum sounds good and the price isn't bad. but its going to be one of those items that without seeing it first you may struggle to get people to sign up.

i'll definetly put my name down in the interested list. but until i see it i'm not sure i want to commit financially.

Yeah I'd love to get one made up, I just need some interest to make me jump in at the deep end and buy the mould before I have orders, it should be a good bit of kit, he makes plenums for bmw's and racing cars,

I'd need a spare plenum to Start the project though, the spacer he said just needs the measurements which is easy enough as I've got one

the engine cover and battery fluid covers arnt as cheap as I'd hoped, but they are pure CF think I'd need to sell 11 or each to break even on the mould

Yeah I'd love to get one made up, I just need some interest to make me jump in at the deep end and buy the mould before I have orders, it should be a good bit of kit, he makes plenums for bmw's and racing cars,

I'd need a spare plenum to Start the project though, the spacer he said just needs the measurements which is easy enough as I've got one

the engine cover and battery fluid covers arnt as cheap as I'd hoped, but they are pure CF think I'd need to sell 11 or each to break even on the mould

ok i feel abit more confident knowing he's made them for other cars ;) does he have a website showing his work elese where. or might you be able to find a link to a forum that has his plenums fitted?