Thinking of buying - advice

Slugger

Hi

A second hand 350z is a possible next car in a few months time.

I've read the info here http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1781 and done a search but still have a few questions about JDM's that hopefully some of you can answer.

These points are taken from the above link.

= bigger radiator

= uprated interior

= uprated suspension (same from Nov 2004 onwards I believe)

= different exhaust

= enhanced cooling for LSD

= different (larger) air intake

= oil cooler

Why the bigger radiator, LSD cooling and oil cooler? They must have changed these for a reason.

Whats different about the interior?

How is the exhaust different?

Is the larger air intake in to the air box or is it a larger throttle body?

I read that the JDM suspension is/was harder than the Uk version. If they are the ssame from Nov 04 was the UK changed to be the same as the JDM or vice versa?

JDM car has:

= Sat Nav which doesn't work and no cheap fix

Is this standard on all cars?

Thanks in advance.

:)

I wouldnt get to hung up on slight differences in spec B) just buy a car your happy with on condition and price :thumbs: theres bugger all difference between them really!!

but as Sarnie said before the JDM models are slower!! (due to the excess weight carried in them by their owners overflowing wallets :p )

Hi

= bigger radiator: possibly due to different top speed (JP 112mph rest of the world 155mph)

= uprated interior: on the 06 this should be the same worldwide now?

= uprated suspension (same from Nov 2004 onwards I believe) UK is generally supposed to be better sorted for our roads, I think it's a bit stiffer

= different exhaust: noise really. Again i think this has been extended to worldwide with the suspension revision

= enhanced cooling for LSD possibly due to different top speed (JP 112mph rest of the world 155mph)

= different (larger) air intake possibly due to different top speed (JP 112mph rest of the world 155mph) this afaik was only with regards to the air duct diameter

= oil coolerpossibly due to different top speed (JP 112mph rest of the world 155mph)

I read that the JDM suspension is/was harder than the Uk version. If they are the ssame from Nov 04 was the UK changed to be the same as the JDM or vice versa? worldwide were upgraded to the Euro ones.

JDM car has:

= Sat Nav which doesn't work and no cheap fix

Is this standard on all cars? no don't think so

:)

answers to yr questions in the "quote" box :)

Thanks for the replies :)

My main concerns were about the cooling stuff really. But then i'm hardly going to be doing 150 mph anyway.

I would use the car on track days as well so would be nice to have the extra cooling but on most tracks you only hit 120 tops for a very short period so it's not like its going to be going high speed for a long time.

Anyone own or been in an older Jap spec on bumpy back roads? How do they ride compared to UK spec?

Cheers

Guest prescience

When you get to the point of purchase, remember that JDMs are restricted to 112mph as has been mentioned above. You can fit a de-restrictor obtained from www.tdi-plc.com not forgetting the forum discount :)

Thanks for the replies :)

My main concerns were about the cooling stuff really. But then i'm hardly going to be doing 150 mph anyway.

I would use the car on track days as well so would be nice to have the extra cooling but on most tracks you only hit 120 tops for a very short period so it's not like its going to be going high speed for a long time.

Anyone own or been in an older Jap spec on bumpy back roads? How do they ride compared to UK spec?

Cheers

Hi again , yes mine is an original JDM spec, no probs with suspension and I live down some of the bumpiest Derbyshire roads imaginable :scare: but if you want comfort buy a Jag :blush:

as for cooling issues never had any probs whatsoever, never likely to either as if it was designed for standing in Japan,s traffic a good blast in England,s never going to overheat it :thumbs:, by the way never heard of any JDM owner having any issues at all really, other than radio and speed limit (easily sortable though )

Thanks lomoto, very helpful.

Certainly wouldn't be buying for comfort our last car was very hard down bumpy roads lol. We had a uk cab on test last Sat and Sun and that was better down the back roads than our last car.

Thanks lomoto, very helpful.

Certainly wouldn't be buying for comfort our last car was very hard down bumpy roads lol. We had a uk cab on test last Sat and Sun and that was better down the back roads than our last car.

sO WHAT WAS YOU LAST CAR?

I too have been looking at buying a JDM & hopefully, fingers crosses XXXX, tmrw is the big day!! :teeth:

Anyway after loads of researching & asking qu after qu on here the only real drawbacks I could find with JDM's is the lack of reliable Japanese service history & no. of Japanese owners. Many dont come with any docs & the service history if any is in Japanese anyway. This is not done maliciously, its just the way its is. Also this is not such a problem if:

1)The BIMTA cert will at least certify mileage upon export

2)Almost all Jap cars have low miles anyway

3)God forbid it was clocked, their idea of high mileage would be e.g 50,00km which is still peanuts in miles for UK drivers & Nissan engines are fairly strong anyway.

4)You can always verify mileage approx by condition of car in general.

5)If your car is fairly new e.g. 1 to 2 years old this is not such a problem anyway as it may have only done e.g. 15,000km (approx 9,000miles) which is when your first service would be due & hence no need for service stamp.

6)Your UK V5 log bk will have the no of UK owners not Japanese so if the cars not too old, no. of Japanese owners will not be such an issue.

Dont get too bogged down with differences in spec between JDM & Europe they are insignificant. You can easily find JDM St (GT) spec ones which have all UK bits like xenons/brembos/ etc.

The only real difference IMO is the saving of approx £3,000 to £5,000 with JDM's! :yahoo: