Saturday morning = Silver Zed cleaning time!

Shuck

Hi everyone,

I was at a local detailing place last week that were hosting a meet for people off Detailing World. Met a lot of people there who knew their stuff and I learnt loads too. One of them called Dave offered to help guide me through a machine polish, and I snapped his hand off. I went up to his place yesterday and this little write up shows what we achieved.

Car had been washed the week before but it was evident that it seriously needed claying. The paint was not smooth and there were bits of sap and tar stuck all over the place. You could hear the rough paint when washing with a lambswool mitt.

We started off at 9.30am by covering the car in snow foam. This was brilliant and is definately on my list of things to get!

Zed011.jpg

Zed010.jpg

The snow foam was rinsed off and then washed using a zymol sponge. After rinsing off the car again, we started claying. I never realised how much dirt was embedded into the car, afterwards the paint was super smooth and looked loads better.

Zed014.jpg

I unfortunately got no pics of the clay covered in dirt but needless to say I don't think the car had ever been clayed before today!

We snow foamed the car again, and dried thoroughly. I managed to get a pic of the car after claying that shows some slight hologramming (I think that’s the term) in the paint.

Zed015.jpg

Apart from the afore mentioned hologramming there were a few light scratches in the paint but nothing major. As the paint is notoriously soft, a very light polishing pad was used with some Poorboys SSR1. Under Dave’s expert eye he took me through all of the pitfalls, and made sure I wasn’t making any mistakes. Once finished we gave it a quick blast with the pressure washer and dried completely.

Our final task was putting the wax on. For this we used Dodo Juice’s awesome Supernatural. The exhausts were polished with Meguiars NXT metal polish, the alloys sealed with Poorboys Wheel Sealant and the tyres dressed with Megs Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel.

Finished after 5 and a half hours of grafting, spot on 3pm. Time for some final pics.

Zed018.jpg

Zed019.jpg

Zed021.jpg

Zed025.jpg

Zed027.jpg

Zed028.jpg

Would like to say a massive thanks to Dave for everything he showed me, and also for the massive shopping list I came away with. Will be putting this write up on Detailing World too for him to see.

Just need to repeat this effort for Croft in two weeks time! :headhurt:

Looks good. B)

One of the easiest ways to tell if a car is need to clay baring or the like is get one of those really thin, soft, clear type plastic bags that you get veggies from in the supermarket or like. When you've just washed the car, pop your hand inside the plastic bag, and gently run your finger tips over the pain. It won't scratch, but you'll be able to feel baked on grime easier this way than you can with your finger tips.

Cheers for the comments everyone. Walbertonio, its really easy to use. Just need to make sure the surface your working on is well lubricated and make sure you pick a smallish area. There are loads of guides on the net if you get stuck and your not that far away from me. Are you coming to Croft in two weeks time? (slightly off topic there!)

Not sure but I will find out. I know he said he can do about 4 cars with a diluted 1 litre bottle but also puts a bit of shampoo in it. Does that sound right?

Almost forgot the obligatory beading shots, taken tonight after a massive downpour!

Zed001.jpg

Zed004.jpg

Cheers for the comments everyone. Walbertonio, its really easy to use. Just need to make sure the surface your working on is well lubricated and make sure you pick a smallish area. There are loads of guides on the net if you get stuck and your not that far away from me. Are you coming to Croft in two weeks time? (slightly off topic there!)

Ok, will do - still rather new to this more indepth method than bucket and sponge. :lol: Cheers for the offer, I'll have an experiment and see how I get on. Just had a look at the show & track day thats on, I'll not be able to make it though it does sound like a canny day out. :thumbs: