Fiat500 & Mini -Thoughts, Experiences and Opinions

greido

After 11 years of faithful service my wee Honda Civic track car has finally succumbed to rust and will is going to be traded in as part of the government scrappage scheme before it's MOT runs out.

In it's place I'm thinking of getting a Fiat 500 or a Mini for my girlfriend; the problem is she doesn't like either of these cars and would prefer to keep her own Honda Civic or get a new BMW 118d but unfortunately my generosity doesn't go that far hence the Fiat 500 or Mini.

I think what might happen is that I'll get one of these and she'll hate it and want to trade it for another Civic or second hand Beemer, therefore resale value is important as I don't want to lose too much.

Have any of you any experience of the Fiat 500 or Mini in terms of ownership, driving experience or resale? - I know that Fiats are notoriously bad at holding their value but I was under the impression that the 500 bucks that trend as it's a fairly cute and quirky little car. Also, I know that new Minis have held their values well but is that still the case now that every Tom, Dick and Harry has one?

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on the above, or alternatively, if you can suggest anything else that I might not have thought of I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Cheers,

G

There is still demand for 500s but not sure if there is a waiting list. Minis are too expensive and the value has dropped off since the release of the 500 - bloody fashion accessories....

Looked at a 500 with my GF the other week but she decided it was too small and expensive. I think it's pretty funky but would want an Abarth!

Tell the OH to make up the difference and get what she wants!

Alternitively buy a Fiat Panda 100HP! :thumbs:

Had a BMW 120D,Overpriced and the rides crap due to run flat tyres. Wife drives a Cooper S, it's the same, she wants rid of it. Hates it with a passion. Why don't you try the Suzuki Swift or a Peugeot 207. The Swift looks pretty funky.

the 500 and the swift are meant to be what the mini should have been when it was redesigned. small sporty.

you are aware that garages will often take 2 cars in part exchange. if she wants something else you could possibly swap both in.

One of my friends has had her Suzuki Swift for about a year now. She had a GTV Skyline previously. She's been impressed with how economical the little Swift is, even for a small car. She feels the suspension is a bit spongy when driving, but feels alright to be a passenger in. The gearbox in her one seems fairly quiet and responsive, even when it had 4 of us in it. They're surprisingly spacious inside too.