Fitting new pulleys

quicksilver

This is a long one so I'll try and cut it short :headhurt:

I replaced my belts and all was fine for a month and then the belts started to squeel just on starting the car, so I had the belts removed/adjusted etc but nothing worked. So I bought a set of lightweight pulleys thinking this would solve the problem. My mechanic tried to remove the old pulleys but due to the tight working area at the front of the 350z he couldn't get enough grip to get them off and in doing so fooked my alternator pulley which is now chewing my new belts up.

So my predicament is that I can either get a new alternator pully (£130 from nissan) and new belts (£30 from nissan) and have them fitted which can be done by removing the alternator (maybe 2 hours labour £80) which may not cure my problem.

My other option would be to fit a set of new lighweight pulleys but is there an easy way of removing the old pulleys as my mechanic seems to think its an engine out job to fit them??? this seems madness to me :scare: . Someone please tell me there's an easier way

Thaks in advance Matt

I replaced my belts and all was fine for a month and then the belts started to squeel just on starting the car, so I had the belts removed/adjusted etc but nothing worked. So I bought a set of lightweight pulleys thinking this would solve the problem. My mechanic tried to remove the old pulleys but due to the tight working area at the front of the 350z he couldn't get enough grip to get them off and in doing so fooked my alternator pulley which is now chewing my new belts up.

So my predicament is that I can either get a new alternator pully (£130 from nissan) and new belts (£30 from nissan) and have them fitted which can be done by removing the alternator (maybe 2 hours labour £80) which may not cure my problem.

My other option would be to fit a set of new lighweight pulleys but is there an easy way of removing the old pulleys as my mechanic seems to think its an engine out job to fit them??? this seems madness to me :scare: . Someone please tell me there's an easier way

Thaks in advance Matt

Thaks in advance Matt

Matt, all pulleys are easily accessible even with the radiator in place and are easy to swop out with out damage if you are handy with the tools.

Regarding belt issues, prior to the guy damaging your alternator pulley, if the belts and pulleys are in good condition then the belt squeal would definately be a tension issue.

I have a spare alternator pulley if you decide to go down that route. :thumbs:

The alternator pulley can also be swopped out in situ. but it is no big deal removing the alternator if you prefer the alternator on the bench.

If he has damaged the alternator as well then don't worry as I have one of those as well. :lol:

Alex.

Thaks in advance Matt

Matt, all pulleys are easily accessible even with the radiator in place and are easy to swop out with out damage if you are handy with the tools.

Regarding belt issues, prior to the guy damaging your alternator pulley, if the belts and pulleys are in good condition then the belt squeal would definately be a tension issue.

I have a spare alternator pulley if you decide to go down that route. :thumbs:

The alternator pulley can also be swopped out in situ. but it is no big deal removing the alternator if you prefer the alternator on the bench.

If he has damaged the alternator as well then don't worry as I have one of those as well. :lol:

Alex.

Thaks in advance Matt

I think you need a new mechanic! TBH :thumbs:

Thaks in advance Matt

I did not want to be so brutal. :lol::lol::lol:

I would be expecting them to at least put right what they have damaged at no charge. I see no reason for them to damage stuff, unless they agree that there may be a chance of it up front. And then get a new mechanic! :lol:

I did not want to be so brutal. :lol::lol::lol:

I would be expecting them to at least put right what they have damaged at no charge. I see no reason for them to damage stuff, unless they agree that there may be a chance of it up front. And then get a new mechanic! :lol:

I'm kinda going with the tensioner replacement theory now. Not to sound like a thicky but where are they and how would I know which ones to replace???

I've also the tensioner pulley for the main serpentine belt and also the tensioner pulley for the air con belt if you require them.

I'm kinda going with the tensioner replacement theory now. Not to sound like a thicky but where are they and how would I know which ones to replace???

I've also the tensioner pulley for the main serpentine belt and also the tensioner pulley for the air con belt if you require them.

• 4 months later...
whats the benefit to get ligher pulley?

Reduces rotating mass and therefor will reduce the power required by the engine to spin them. This means you might get a bit more power to the wheels, but mostly it makes the engine more responsive. We are talking tiny differences here though.