F1 Breakaway Series?

Beavis

looks like we might be going into F1 after all ! I can hear the phone ringing now..... "is that the FIA?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh btw i work at Lola Cars incase your totally confused by that comment.

But wouldnt you rather be in the break away series? Thats the one everyone will be watching as it has the big names ;)

I think this will end up in someone standing down (Mosley perhaps) and the teams getting their way. There will be no F1 with those teams leaving, or if there is, no one will watch it, everyone will watch the break away series.

"The FIA has said there are other would-be newcomers waiting to take the places of those teams that refused to enter unconditionally, although one, Lola, has already withdrawn its application."

Doesnt that mean you wont be going into F1 or have I got it confused somewhere :wacko:

But wouldnt you rather be in the break away series? Thats the one everyone will be watching as it has the big names ;)

I think this will end up in someone standing down (Mosley perhaps) and the teams getting their way. There will be no F1 with those teams leaving, or if there is, no one will watch it, everyone will watch the break away series.

We wouldn't go into the breakaway series because the only reason we tabled a bid was due to the cost-capping, we can afford to spend 300 million a year designing and driving a car, the 40 million cap suited us. and you can be sure they wont have a cap.

Well you could get so deep into this it's ridiculous, firstly this breakaway series...... what tv station will show it?!? BBC is tied into FIA Formula 1 for 3 odd years, Sky is in a running contract with A1GP and ITV sure as hell dont have any money to play the ludacrative advertising rights. We were going to get 30million back over 3 years form the beeb tv rights if we went into F1.

Also, where are they going to race, All the FIA approved tracks you can bet wont be letting them race there and upset the governing body, so thats alot of top tracks out of the picture...

IF it does happen i can see most of teams in the breakaway series that can afford it will more than likely just run 3 cars instead of 2, more tv coverage and advertising money that way also....

BUT someone will backdown, F1 without the big drivers/constructors/teams in not really F1 afterall.

"The FIA has said there are other would-be newcomers waiting to take the places of those teams that refused to enter unconditionally, although one, Lola, has already withdrawn its application."

Doesnt that mean you wont be going into F1 or have I got it confused somewhere :wacko:

We did officially withdraw, but that was before this breakaway was official, now, we are in a very nice position, if the FIA ask us to come back as they need teams, we know we are in demand and have some bargaining power :)

The problem is, that the fan base in large follows Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW, Renault.

All credit to new entrants, but there is an argument that this is the pinnacle of motorsport, if buget cap restrictions start to infringe on how much effort can be put into developing a racing car, then we are no longer watching the pinnacle.

Why wouldnt the BBC show it? Just because they are tied to F1, doesnt mean they cant show another motor racing series - they pay for the rights to show what they want dont they?

Why would the circuits also not want to allow the races. Why would they be afraid of upsetting the governing body of F1 in favour of pleasing the likes of Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW, Renault etc....

Put it this way, Id bet ticket sales would be higher for the "big name" races and money talks.

I'd agree that this will only be resolved by one side backing down. But I wouldnt be surprised if that didnt happen. Spanky and Bernie are just too pig headed to see sense.

Slashing budgets from the current £500M+ to £40M is just too much way too fast.

We did officially withdraw, but that was before this breakaway was official, now, we are in a very nice position, if the FIA ask us to come back as they need teams, we know we are in demand and have some bargaining power :)

I see ;)

The problem is, that the fan base in large follows Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW, Renault.

All credit to new entrants, but there is an argument that this is the pinnacle of motorsport, if buget cap restrictions start to infringe on how much effort can be put into developing a racing car, then we are no longer watching the pinnacle.

Why wouldnt the BBC show it? Just because they are tied to F1, doesnt mean they cant show another motor racing series - they pay for the rights to show what they want dont they?

Why would the circuits also not want to allow the races. Why would they be afraid of upsetting the governing body of F1 in favour of pleasing the likes of Ferrari, Mclaren, BMW, Renault etc....

Put it this way, Id bet ticket sales would be higher for the "big name" races and money talks.

I'd agree that this will only be resolved by one side backing down. But I wouldnt be surprised if that didnt happen. Spanky and Bernie are just too pig headed to see sense.

Completely agree with it being the elite of the racing world, and i know if lola had the money, we wouldnt want a budget cap either !!

The circuit problem is that fact that the FIA govern more than just F1, almost all other serious racing series are onboard too, also i believe that its a large part of the saftey aspect, so if a circuit chose to run the breakaway series and FIA then remoived its liscence from that track, no other FIA approved race series would race there, meaning the circuit would badly suffer finacially.

Also worth remembering theres alot of back up/following series that travel around with the FIA F1, at a F1 race weekend its not just the big cars booming round, GP2, F3, F3000 all sometimes tour together........ i wonder where they will go.

The FIA couldn't just withdraw from a circuit based on the fact that the circuit allows some other series to race there, they would find themselves on the sharp end of a writ in the blink of an eye, meaning any threat of a financial loss for the circuit would be a moot point anyway.

They could however move to another circuit at the end of that circuits particular agreed term - like the move from Silverstone to Donnington. But then they would be the ones moving away from the "brand name" circuits, paving the way for the new breakaway series to move in, leaving them with the teams, the drivers and the circuits.

If Bernie and Spanky dont back down on this one then they are a hell of a lot more stupid than they are funny looking.

If smaller teams can only be competitive if there is a budget cap in place, then how can it be considered the pinnacle of motorsport?

Its like me saying I want to play for a premiership football team, but I'll only play as long as all the other players agree to weigh a minimum 19 stone and do less than 2hrs exercise a week.

The FIA couldn't just withdraw from a circuit based on the fact that the circuit allows some other series to race there, they would find themselves on the sharp end of a writ in the blink of an eye, meaning any threat of a financial loss for the circuit would be a moot point anyway.

They could however move to another circuit at the end of that circuits particular agreed term - like the move from Silverstone to Donnington. But then they would be the ones moving away from the "brand name" circuits, paving the way for the new breakaway series to move in, leaving them with the teams, the drivers and the circuits.

If Bernie and Spanky dont back down on this one then they are a hell of a lot more stupid than they are funny looking.

If smaller teams can only be competitive if there is a budget cap in place, then how can it be considered the pinnacle of motorsport?

Its like me saying I want to play for a premiership football team, but I'll only play as long as all the other players agree to weigh a minimum 19 stone and do less than 2hrs exercise a week.

The FIA could pull from a circuit after the years approval is up, meaning that the circuit would loose 80% of it customers, thus making it a very real threat to financial lose to the circuit despite perhaps having the breakaway series income. And they circuits just couldnt afford that.

Bernie is stupid, thats the problem, he is going to make it the driver that wins the most races, not have the most points win the championship remember!?! crazy talk !!

The whole reason this is even coming about is because bernie and co. fear they have lost the majority of its fan base due to the bigger teams having far superior funds and develping a car thats alot quicker than the others. Thus making the sport not as competitive, with less overtaking and not as exciting (opions only of course)

Me, i love the sport the way it is/was. Caps are not needed just people with more balls and money :lol::lol::lol:

I think there are 2 things here that the "Big" teams don't like, first is the budget cap being as low as 40 million and secondly the amount of money Bernie scams from them by being the Right's Holder to F1 and selling the races and TV contracts.

I heard a roumer that, allegedly, the money Bernie used when he bought Brabham had links to the Great Train Robbery - back in those days F1 was a great way to launder some dirty cash.

I think there are 2 things here that the "Big" teams don't like, first is the budget cap being as low as 40 million and secondly the amount of money Bernie scams from them by being the Right's Holder to F1 and selling the races and TV contracts.

I heard a roumer that, allegedly, the money Bernie used when he bought Brabham had links to the Great Train Robbery - back in those days F1 was a great way to launder some dirty cash.

I can believe that !

Motorsport in genreal is a great way to launder.

Before i worked here at Lola, during the late 80s, some guy apparently bought a car form us for like 250k, and then turned up the next days with it in cash!!! :scare::surrender::scare:

Reminds me of a story my dad has from working in sales in Saudi Arabia, he used to sell fork lifts, cranes, tipper trucks etc. Not the usuall stuff, we are talking quarter million pound cranes and 200k forklifts etc. One day a guy came round carrying his washing in two carrier bags (not an uncommon sight). Walked round the yard saying, "two of those, one of those with its lifting gear, and one of those, etc, etc".

When asked how he would like to pay, he said cash, and promptly dumped the two carrier bags on the table which had money under a shirt in each. Something like £1.5m. :scare:

+1

The FIA could pull from a circuit after the years approval is up, meaning that the circuit would loose 80% of it customers, thus making it a very real threat to financial lose to the circuit despite perhaps having the breakaway series income. And they circuits just couldnt afford that.

Bernie is stupid, thats the problem, he is going to make it the driver that wins the most races, not have the most points win the championship remember!?! crazy talk !!

The whole reason this is even coming about is because bernie and co. fear they have lost the majority of its fan base due to the bigger teams having far superior funds and develping a car thats alot quicker than the others. Thus making the sport not as competitive, with less overtaking and not as exciting (opions only of course)

Me, i love the sport the way it is/was. Caps are not needed just people with more balls and money :lol::lol::lol:

You would loose the Monaco race as they are tied into a long contract with the FIA and to stage another race in Monaco would cause even more headaches :bang: and would cost too much money unless it was the week before or after the F1 race, and I am not sure that would work.

Some of you may not be aware of this but the Monaco F1 race is the first race date set every year and then the rest of the calender is then worked out after that. Monaco has so many other events taking place during the year and also has a alot of cruise ships that come in with the tourist trade and all the cruise date shedules have to be worked out with the cruise ship companys and Monaco port etc.

As bernie holds the commercial rights to F1, would it be beyond consideraion tha he switches camps and just wanders over to the new series and offers to get the things up and running? Afterall, he is a business person, and I cant see him wanting to wave goodbye to the money that those teams bring in...

I see Briatore told Brundle live on camera today that it was going to happen as far as he's concerned.

Yeah, after Bernie or Max (cant remember) said Briatore was a nutter :lol: I think they want to do a break away series just to stick 2 fingers up at Max and Bernie!