Engine management light - UPDATE: fault code P2135

matth76

Hi

About a couple of cms underneath the fuel gauge a light which looks like a tap with two handles has come on, which I assume to be the engine management light. It is yellow and stays constantly on, no flashing. Car drives absolutely fine, and cannot notice any difference. I know a fault code has been thrown and would normally assume it is either the O2 / MAF sensor or something related to the cats. The only thing, very small thing I have noticed recently is that the exhaust seems slightly throatier, but only just and I have thought nothing of it. (No eggy smells so assume my cats are ok.) My car's only just four years old so quite surprised to see the engine management light come on!

My question is if I take my car to a main dealer are they going to charge me to read the fault codes, for what is simply a two minute job (I know it is because I have seen it being done)? Alternatively does anyone know whether GT Art would be any help? Ideally want it checked as soon as poss and I have a Nissan main dealer two minutes down the road or GT Art two mins from my work.

Could the engine management light indicate any other possible more serious faults? Anything I should look out for or can do to diagnose the problem more myself? Is there a way for me to reset the engine management light to make it go out and then allowing me to see if the light returns?

Thanks for any help.

I think gary has a fault reader,

Dealers may charge

Yes it could be other faults

Yes you can try the manual method to get the fault code up

If you do find its the cats then you can get it reset, if there is still an issue then the light will come back! So buying a reader is probably a good idea....

Did you say you had taken your car to Gary BTW?

Ok, popped down GT Art today who were very helpful and scanned the computer for fault codes and it came up with a P2135, can't remember the description exactly but it was along the lines of "incorrect electric voltage to the throttle position sensor". They are going to look into what part may need replacing or is causing this. For now they have cleared the code to see if it comes back. It hasn't come back on when I drove home from the garage today but will see if it comes on later or in the next few days. As already mentioned the car drives perfectly and pulls very hard as usual.

Has anyone else had this code? What did it turn out to be or how did you resolve the issue from coming back? And was it expensive?!

Thanks for any help or info.

Looks like it may be throttle position in your case, but I've had a similar issue with the engine check light coinciding with a throatier exhaust noise and it has turned out that the weld on the backbox flange has cracked and is blowing. Might be worth checking.