To chip or not to chip - advice needed please.

Bundus

Just need some advice from those of you in the know regarding chipping my zed.

I have a JDM Zed and its therefore restricted at 112mph. Im booked in for a track day in a couple of weeks and really wanted to remove the restriction by then. I picked up a Dastek Unichip and the Zed harness a while ago and just rang a unichip dealer near me to have it booked in.

They are quoting £400 + VAT for fitting & mapping of my chip.

So here is my question. Do I have it done, which means I can get rid of my restriction and make the most of my engine mods for track day, or is that too much money to throw at a unichip (plus what I paid for the chip in the first place too) and would I be better off waiting and investing in a better engine management system (even if it means doing my track day with the restriction). Ive also heard rumpours of the unichip not working on JDM so if this is the case whats my best alternative ECU modification?

Any advice would be great and also rough price of a better alternative would be appreciated so I can weigh up my options.

Cheers :thumbs:

I would advise you to speak to 3fiddy, he tried the unichip and it didnt work very well. To remove the restrictor just get the HKS defensor about 300 quid ish

Dan

Yeah I spent Saturday with 3Fiddy over at DMS. He originally said that the Unichip wasnt the way forward but also said that if I need the car de-restricted and I already have the unichip then I may as well go for it. The HKS SLD is around £200 if not more nowadays so if my Unichip will do the same job and more for not too much more money then Im thinking its worth it!?!

If anyone can give me a reasonable alternative (please nothing as expensive as some of the ECU's you guys are using - I dont consider a £1,200 ECU as a reasonable alternative to a £400 unichip, not in terms of price at least) that would be great. At least then Ill know if I have some options.

Thanks again.

I think the unichip can just be fitted mate as you have the harness, just plug it in and it should be OK.

I didnt say that the unichip wasnt good, it has done stuff to the car, probably just not met my expectations! over 20lbs of torque is pretty good considering!

As Mark has said, Unichip, while not being the best piggyback out there, will be fine for NA modding. As long as the mapper is good, that is what is key. £400 seems a good price for the chip and mapping, RSTuning are offering reflashing and remapping of the original ECU for about £500 +VAT so its a good deal you've been made. Just dont expect too much out of it, its not an FI car!

As I said before the key is a good mapper, they are the ones in control of the results. Its a good price and if it gets around the speed limiter too I dont see why not. Just dont expect to be able to reuse it if you want to go FI with decent results.

What about a U-tec think i've seem then in the states for about $900 just got to get someone to map it, which sounds easy but doubt it will be.

What other piggybacks are available? maybe something like a apexi s-afc. I used one in my Celica gt4 with success before I out grew it and needed the full on power fc.

maybe something like a apexi s-afc. I used one in my Celica gt4 with success before I out grew it and needed the full on power fc.

Dont think they yeild too much of a gain from what I've heard. It just sorts out your AFR which brings that back into the best ratio for power, but there are other things you can turn with a piggyback I think which yeild even more gains. I saw somewhere that fit and turn it for about £300+Vat, which isnt worth it if he can get unichip for £400+VAT

What about a U-tec think i've seem then in the states for about $900 just got to get someone to map it, which sounds easy but doubt it will be.

What other piggybacks are available? maybe something like a apexi s-afc. I used one in my Celica gt4 with success before I out grew it and needed the full on power fc.

Speak to THOR racing about this one... I think Bobby has one of these thats not fitted yet.. You going to the mod day this weekend?

Well its £400 + vat just for fitting and mapping, that doesnt include the chip or harness. Luckily I picked one up a while back so all I'll have to pay is the £400 but in reality the cost is around £650 all in.

From the sounds of it I will get exactly what I want out of it. Im not looking to go FI all I want is my restriction gone and a few gains from my existing mods. So it seems that the Unichip will be fine for that.

So I guess my only question is do I spend the £400 having it fitted? Does that price seem reasonable bearing in mind that it is purely fitting and mapping?

Mark you said that I could fit it myself if I have the harness? Is this easily done? Could I fit it myself then give it to the garage for mapping? Might save me a few quid!?!

Thanks for the input guys!

£400 to fit and Dyno!! Didnt realise you told me that!!

Remove lower passanger dash, unplug ECU, plug in harness, plug in unichip, secure unichip, job done... drive to Garys and get him to get it on the rollers!

Just on the safe side, Alex if your reading this, please can you confirm the map in the unichip should be good to go on a small run to the tuners?

If its that easy to fit Ill just fit it outside the mappers and roll it in if I have to and if it saves me some cash lol. Also I think the chip came off a car that was turbo'd so does that mean that the map on it will not be any good for my car? Dont want to fit it and risk any damage or what not!?!

Yeah originally they said £300 to fit and map but when I called to speak to them today they told me £400 the gits!!

Hmm, I wouldnt fit it yourself and drive it there then if its been used on an FI car. You dont know what map is on it, which could be very dangerous. I would rock up, fit it and push it in ;)

£400+VAT seems reasonable for tuning depending on what they are doing. I guess their hourly rate on the dyno is about £100, which equates to 4hrs dyno/tuning time which should get you a good map

Hmm, I wouldnt fit it yourself and drive it there then if its been used on an FI car. You dont know what map is on it, which could be very dangerous. I would rock up, fit it and push it in ;)

£400+VAT seems reasonable for tuning depending on what they are doing. I guess their hourly rate on the dyno is about £100, which equates to 4hrs dyno/tuning time which should get you a good map

Thanks Chris. At least I know they arent ripping me off if I do go ahead. But If I do Im going to try and get it for £300 as originally quoted.

Bundus, hold everything! Just been on the phone, will call you tonight as I have news!

:bounce::bounce::bounce: What is it Mark? Im excited!!

Bundus, hold everything! Just been on the phone, will call you tonight as I have news!

:bounce::bounce::bounce: What is it Mark? Im excited!!

Hopefully hes got it cheaper! I would definately push for the original £300 if nothing else! Need to be sure what they are offering for the money. Usually its an hourly rate and they will do say 4hrs to start and then add more if needed. I'd be asking a few more questions if I were you about what they propose to do with the time ;)