350Z chipped?

chrisjones6699

Guys, thanks for all the feed back here. its made me think about what i really want and there's nothing i want to change with regards to the engine. I'm gonna get new disks and pads and that's about it. as for cosmetics, the only thing i fancy is a stubby aerial! :D

Thanks guys!

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a very useful post for a 350 Newbie...

I actually imagined these cars would be fairly simple to tune up,

I'd love to go down the Supercharged route,

(but thats probably just for the noise)

Seems a bit of a waste of money now that i think of it!!!

I think (like me) most people aim for the 300bhp figure, because its not far away from the standard figure,

and it just sounds more impressive!!

1st off, its not all about the BHP!! Also, throw out your goal to start with! And also decide what and where you want the power for... If its about wasting fuel and burning people off the lights then is there a point in spending 3 or 4k? If its about getting on the track, where do you want the power? Lots of time you wont be using all the power... It may be you want to be able to out brake or get it hugging the corners and delivering the power out of the turn... You can turn up to a track with 300bhp and a 200bhp car could whip your arse... 1 because its better set up, 2 its lighter and 3 cause the other driver is better than you!

Anyway... Down to tuning... 1st you need to find a trusted dyno that gives a pretty true figure. Then get it dyno'd, you may find that you only have say 260bhp at the fly (it has been known!) and getting to a target of 300bhp may be impossible without spending loads of cash... It may be that your car needs a good service, plug change etc etc after its been dyno'd to see if there is a change there...

Then its onto mods! Plenum Spacer 1st and maybe CAI (its been proven that the stock CAI esp on the 06 is one of the best CAI's for the car, but if your going down the tune route then the car may need more air so an after market one may be required) then onto the zorst, y-pipe and cats, exhaust manifolds etc etc... Its worth doing maps after the mods to see where there are increases and even decreases! Clutch, fly, pullies and final drive can also help to change the power delivery depending on where you want the power...

Once you have done this little lot (you may have seen little gain from the mods, even decreases) its time to chip with a piggyback or to get a reflash to tie everything together, change the timings, AFR etc etc... Again a few options available and people have their opinions!

The VQ isnt an easy engine to get lots out of easily but it can be done, there are ways of stroking, sleeving, changing cams, porting and polishing etc the list is pretty endless of you planning on gains in a N/A form...

To be honest with the amount of time and effort that I and many owners have spent on trying to get gains and with the different options available that are not really documented and proven (ie someone that fits a 5zigen zorst and a typhoon, may get different results to a 5zigen zorst and a popcharger!) I would go FI with a supercharger from the start! Nice easy gains, not too much cash, cant really push the limits of the engine (400ish without engine builds / re-enforcement!), in FI terms is reasonably easy on the engine.

This again is pretty much my opinion, and others out there on this and the other 350z forums have their opinions, so sit back, search, read do your research and then go for it! Just dont expect it to be easy!

Anyway, if your in south wales, have a word with Ian on here... I think he recommends Ninja Tune factory for the tuning and modding work!!

wow all that money for 24 bhp maybe?, could use that mnoney and trade in your zed and get a gtr. :bounce:

1st off, its not all about the BHP!! Also, throw out your goal to start with! And also decide what and where you want the power for... If its about wasting fuel and burning people off the lights then is there a point in spending 3 or 4k? If its about getting on the track, where do you want the power? Lots of time you wont be using all the power... It may be you want to be able to out brake or get it hugging the corners and delivering the power out of the turn... You can turn up to a track with 300bhp and a 200bhp car could whip your arse... 1 because its better set up, 2 its lighter and 3 cause the other driver is better than you!

Anyway... Down to tuning... 1st you need to find a trusted dyno that gives a pretty true figure. Then get it dyno'd, you may find that you only have say 260bhp at the fly (it has been known!) and getting to a target of 300bhp may be impossible without spending loads of cash... It may be that your car needs a good service, plug change etc etc after its been dyno'd to see if there is a change there...

Then its onto mods! Plenum Spacer 1st and maybe CAI (its been proven that the stock CAI esp on the 06 is one of the best CAI's for the car, but if your going down the tune route then the car may need more air so an after market one may be required) then onto the zorst, y-pipe and cats, exhaust manifolds etc etc... Its worth doing maps after the mods to see where there are increases and even decreases! Clutch, fly, pullies and final drive can also help to change the power delivery depending on where you want the power...

Once you have done this little lot (you may have seen little gain from the mods, even decreases) its time to chip with a piggyback or to get a reflash to tie everything together, change the timings, AFR etc etc... Again a few options available and people have their opinions!

The VQ isnt an easy engine to get lots out of easily but it can be done, there are ways of stroking, sleeving, changing cams, porting and polishing etc the list is pretty endless of you planning on gains in a N/A form...

To be honest with the amount of time and effort that I and many owners have spent on trying to get gains and with the different options available that are not really documented and proven (ie someone that fits a 5zigen zorst and a typhoon, may get different results to a 5zigen zorst and a popcharger!) I would go FI with a supercharger from the start! Nice easy gains, not too much cash, cant really push the limits of the engine (400ish without engine builds / re-enforcement!), in FI terms is reasonably easy on the engine.

This again is pretty much my opinion, and others out there on this and the other 350z forums have their opinions, so sit back, search, read do your research and then go for it! Just dont expect it to be easy!

Anyway, if your in south wales, have a word with Ian on here... I think he recommends Ninja Tune factory for the tuning and modding work!!

wow all that money for 24 bhp maybe?, could use that mnoney and trade in your zed and get a gtr. :bounce:

Would love to see your maths on that one!! Esp if your talking about an R35!

get a remap had mine done by paul murray at rs tuning thats a guy who knows what he is doing get more bhp and torque also de resticted have a look on his website ! he is also on this forum he has got some pictures of my car getting it done it now drives like a different car well impressed with it so spend some cash and pay him a visit in leeds castleton close. :drive1:drive1:drive1

get a remap had mine done by paul murray at rs tuning thats a guy who knows what he is doing get more bhp and torque also de resticted have a look on his website ! he is also on this forum he has got some pictures of my car getting it done it now drives like a different car well impressed with it so spend some cash and pay him a visit in leeds castleton close. :drive1:drive1:drive1

Is yours the one that they have been using and posting the results up on here? If not what increases have you seen? Currently trying to figure out how to fit an HKS to take the limiter off mine but if their remap does it and gets good increase in HP and tq then it might be just worth going down that route.

Another Z newbie here and looking for a 276. I too wasn;t aware of the lengths it took to get gains from this engine. Unfortunately a 300 is out of budget and the road tax is crazy.

I'd also like to hear what gains were had on your car davey boy as this would be a likely route for me to take if the gains were worth while. Not too fussed about BHP but torque is the most important thing.