Stick On Number Plate

nurrish

No stick on numberplate is technically legal although plenty cars get away with it.

From DVLA: Number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements

If you get one make sure it has a reflective back ground like the one i have on mine :thumbs:

Yep :thumbs:

http://www.craigsplates.com does these :)

These are as close to legal as you will get. They meet all the specs, but the DVLA strickly forbid stick on numberplates as they used to have kits where you could make your own, and legislation now says you have to get them from a registered plate maker, so given you cant tell if these are self made or proper, they just outlawed all stick on plates. See craigsplates website for the details.

Pretty nifty site there.

I was trying to find out for ages if a shorter plate was legal because I have a 5 digit reg and didn't want a normal length one with a load of blank space either end ruining my aerodynamics! :lol:

They are listed on there under the standard uk plates so I guess so. :yahoo:

'Spose I could just get the jigsaw on some normal length ones though! haha

Mine doesn't have any screws in it so presume them to be stick on. All correct font face, spacing and size etc and bought mine from a dealer so I'm not fussing bout mine and from what I can tell most modern cars these days don't have any visible screws either just like mine so they are all stick on too.

Mine doesn't have any screws in it so presume them to be stick on. All correct font face, spacing and size etc and bought mine from a dealer so I'm not fussing bout mine and from what I can tell most modern cars these days don't have any visible screws either just like mine so they are all stick on too.

There's a difference between stuck on plates, and a sticker(stuck on) :thumbs:

Firstly, a "stick-on" plate isnt a standard plate that is stuck-on to your vehicle. Its a flexible sticker like a bumper sticker....

Stick-on plates aren't legal in the UK. Thats why CraigsPlates produce them from their associated platemaker in the Republic of Ireland.

Having said that, if the font, spacing and reflective background are to the required standard, and the sticker is mounted on a flat, unbroken and as near vertical as possible surface, then you could have a good discussion with a sympathetic officer of the law. But if he or she just wanted to do you for something irrespective, then I think you'd get the ticket.

p.s. the stick-on wont have the platemakers address or the BS number on it, which are both technically legal requirements