North Weald Airfield Day 16th Aug - Book Now!

Chris`I

Urmm .

I was meant to do this 2 years ago but the day before i had a real bad motorcycle crash. :(

So its a sunday and does it cost £50 odd still?

If so how many places are left as i might be able to get a few gtr mates to come along? Might be the first time i get to use my r32 this year :).

Yup thats the one. Details are on the first page, inc a link to sign up with price etc.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melting tyres

Ask Ben about his first track day at Bedford and his tyres :headhurt:

Um... yeah....

Ok, so what happened was I had always hard FF cars in the past and cornering them quickly involved using power to pull the front of the car around. However I went to Bedford in my Evo shortly after having bought it and I hadn't adapted my technique appropriately... so what happened when I applied power (as I would have done in the FF) was the front end got pushed out wide because I hadn't got it into a 4 wheel drift before applying power.

The result was VERY melted tyres! Imagine you have a tray of paint, and then you put your hand flat on it and then lift up, the surface puckers up. Well the tyres looked like that.

I've since learned to drive the car properly (or at least a better approximation of properly!) so tyre wear is much better. I'm still using the same set of tyres as it happens as these are my spare wheels I use for trackdays. I reckon I've got one, maybe 2 days left on them. (I don't scrap my road tyres when they need changing, I put new rubber on but retain the old ones for trackdays. So I've got about 8 more spare tyres which I can put on the rims when these run out.)

North Weald Format

To echo what Chris said, basically in the morning you do a 'high speed bend' exercise. This basically involves queing up and then when its your turn you sprint down about 200m of service road onto a WIDE tarmac apron and attempt to get the highest speed onto the apron without turning too wide or spinning. The instructor checks your entry speed with a radar gun. You then return to the back of the queue. It's pretty good fun and gets quite competitive as they keep a leader board of speeds on a white board.

Then in the afternoon they set up two 'sprint' handling courses. This involves queing up again, then when its your turn you drive forward to the start line. The instructor then counts you in and starts a stop watch. You drive a short course around some cones and then return to the start line and stop in the 'finish box'. The guy then records your time and gives you some tips and you join the back of the queue again. The first course is shorter than the seccond course. Sometimes, if there's time, I've heard they also setup a beast course which basically combines the first two together. Driving time is about 1 min at a time, roughly. But you get lots of goes. Again, gets competitive, but it's all very good natured and safe IMO as there's only one of you on track at a given time and there is LOADS of run off. You're on a tarmac apron surrounded by flat grass. The only thing you can really hit are the cones and they are rubberised to reduce potential damage.

Have a look on youtube for the vids and add your name below if you fancy it :thumbs:

Here's a link to a video of me messing about in the wet.

I know that I 'over do it' on a couple of the drifts but I'd given up on trying to get a good time (as some decent DRY times had been set and once the rain started those times were going to be unassailable) so I'm just trying to provoke the back end and have a bit of fun with it.

As it happens I was the only 4WD car in the group (mostly RX-8's, MX-5's and 350Z's) and I set the fastest 'wet lap' while messing about. Not surprising really, as they had a LOT more trouble controlling the rear end, whereas I had to try hard to get the back end going!

Should be a good day.

Yeah mate, its a free for all, its not a specific 350z-uk day. Ben (MAD7BOY) has a 300WHP Evo :scare:

:teeth: However power isn't everything. There was a young lady in an RX-8 who gave me a good run for my money on the sprint courses. I just about won in the end but it was very close and we were trading personal bests back and forth for most of the afternoon. Technique has a lot to do with it and I only felt like I was really getting to grips with the 'lines' towards the end of the day.

Really enjoyed it last time and I hope we get a little sprinkling of rain on Aug 16th... will make it that bit more 'interesting'!

Cheers guys, hope to see some of you there.

Ben

Did this a couple of years ago... agree great fun but the air field totally ate my tyres and watch out for stones/granite on the track!

Either way, pray for you all that it's a little bit wet B)

Did you do this at the same place? My tyres were pretty buggered before I started and it used hardly any tread, it was very kind to them for an airfield. Also did you pump your tyres right up? This makes them less grippy which means less wear and more fun :drive1

For those interested, I have provisionally booked now - put my name down but havent paid. Feel free to join me, Amanda and Ben :thumbs:

Yeah did at the same place, but then like all days like these, its how hard you push your car and what you intend to do there... i.e, there for the fun, or there to know the limits of your car etc...

Weather does play a part no matter what right?!? In essence, rubber is usually meant to be left on the road i.e. provides you the grip... but of course, none of us are F1 funded so its a matter of balance :p

Anyway enjoy the day, think one of my mates is going in a Honda CRX...

Yeah did at the same place, but then like all days like these, its how hard you push your car and what you intend to do there... i.e, there for the fun, or there to know the limits of your car etc...

Weather does play a part no matter what right?!? In essence, rubber is usually meant to be left on the road i.e. provides you the grip... but of course, none of us are F1 funded so its a matter of balance :p

Anyway enjoy the day, think one of my mates is going in a Honda CRX...

Shredding up your tyres is usually a sign of bad driving tbh and not a sign of pushing the car, this is what the day is meant to teach you! Talk to any true racer and they will telll you about loading up the tyres, gently rolling on and off the throttle and brakes and this will stop the tyres braking traction so easy, which is when you will shred them up. I come from bike riding background where this is much more important but the principals are the same. As Ben pointed out, on his first track day, he was far too abusive to his tyres, turning in sharply, getting on the brakes too hard, and then getting on the throttle too quickly and hard. Since he has now learnt better throttle finnesse and steering, he goes far quicker and shreds his tyres a hell of a lot less. Sure I can go out and rag my car and destroy the tyres a piece of pi$$, the true art is going quickly and saving your tyres. Watch the guys that get the highest speeds on the track and they are the smoothest at car control ;)

Talk to any true racer and they will telll you
It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.) :blush:

ETA - Chris does actually make a very good point about being smooth and kind to tyres. Watch the in car footage of Jensen Button for a real masterclass in smooth driving and looking after tyres.

...However as I mentioned about I've got a (basis of a) 'rally car' and 3 sets of spare rubber to use up, so sometimes I try to go sideways for the fun of it.

Talk to any true racer and they will telll you
It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.) :blush:

:ban::lol:

ETA - Chris does actually make a very good point about being smooth and kind to tyres. Watch the in car footage of Jensen Button for a real masterclass in smooth driving and looking after tyres.

...However as I mentioned about I've got a (basis of a) 'rally car' and 3 sets of spare rubber to use up, so sometimes I try to go sideways for the fun of it.

Yup, as I said, thats not finding the limits, its just dicking about. Which will knacker your tyres as we all know. Driving properly should not. So the day should not shred your tyres unless you decide to do that yourself. ;)

Shredding up your tyres is usually a sign of bad driving tbh and not a sign of pushing the car, this is what the day is meant to teach you! Talk to any true racer and they will telll you about loading up the tyres, gently rolling on and off the throttle and brakes and this will stop the tyres braking traction so easy, which is when you will shred them up. I come from bike riding background where this is much more important but the principals are the same. As Ben pointed out, on his first track day, he was far too abusive to his tyres, turning in sharply, getting on the brakes too hard, and then getting on the throttle too quickly and hard. Since he has now learnt better throttle finnesse and steering, he goes far quicker and shreds his tyres a hell of a lot less. Sure I can go out and rag my car and destroy the tyres a piece of pi$$, the true art is going quickly and saving your tyres. Watch the guys that get the highest speeds on the track and they are the smoothest at car control ;)

acknowledged, sound advice that makes sense.....of course.... sometimes the slide is just fun :p

• 3 weeks later...

Keep em coming guys, its a great day out, and you can do as much or as little as you like. Dont be put off thinking you have to hammer around the track, its all about gaining confidence in your car. Amanda was quite apprehensive to start with but was loving it by the end :teeth:

Keep em coming guys, its a great day out, and you can do as much or as little as you like. Dont be put off thinking you have to hammer around the track, its all about gaining confidence in your car. Amanda was quite apprehensive to start with but was loving it by the end :teeth:

before i sign my mate up i was just wondering on insurance for him. from what someone said earlier you don't need track day insurance as your not on a track. do i need to put my mate on my insurance for him to be covered as well. or is the day covered under the organisers insurance?

There is no organisers insurance, you need to cover it yourself. Apparently as its not a track you dont need an special insurance. Its fine though as there is loads of run off and nothing to hit, so chances of doing something bad are very very slim. :thumbs:

so standard insurance should be fine.

i shall look into sticking him on the insurance for the day. it shouldn't be that expensive should it?

Depends who they are! I would expect about 50 quid after the admin fee!

Chris, I didn't know road insurance would cover you for this?

I don't buy trackday insurance becasue the risk of hitting anything bigger than a cone is very very very very low. Therefore as far as I was concerend I was uninsured. (As I didn't expect road cover to cover me.)

If this is the case (and road insurance wouldn't cover you) then unless you want your mate to drive to/from the venue there's no need to add him? Is there?? He doesn't need road cover as he's not on the road and track cover is ALWAYS optional (as it's only 1st party) and I personally opt not to have it on these particular events.

Andy told me that you are covered on normal insurance and no need for track day cover. If he is telling porkies then that would put him in a lot of trouble if the worst happens, but as you say there is sod all to hit really, and you really arent cornering anywhere near as quick as you do on a proper track (bar the highspeed corner), so there really is no danger of damaging anything. :teeth:

• 2 weeks later...

i need to pay for mine soon as well,

just out of interest is there a dress code for this :lol: i don't mean shirt and tie affair. ;) i know for track days they say to wear a long sleeved top and have a crash helmet. is this the same for an airfield day?