Chips away GT4 alloy

Beavis

Had my gt4 about 3 weeks now and the car was mint apart from a slightly marhed front alloy. Got chips away coming this afternoon, so we will see what sort of job they do. Anyhow while i am waiting i will show you the before photo. :)

Just had call from chipsaway to say he wont be able to come today as too busy at Lexus Stoke. When i booked this he said Thursday p.m, i said ok.So he turned up at 9 this morning when i was not here. :rant::rant::rant: Rebooked now for tue morning. :dry:

I scrapped mine a while back before I got my new wheels. Chipsaway guy matched the paint and did an excellent job. I now can't tell were he sprayed.

I guess it's down to the skill of the guy in question.

Good Luck

The Chips away guy wouldn't touch my GT4 alloys, said theyd 100% have to go to a body shop and done properly as they were forged alloys!!

(I think that's what he said)

Kev didn't have a problem!!!! That's the trouble with these franchise companies :thumbdown:

The Chips away guy wouldn't touch my GT4 alloys, said theyd 100% have to go to a body shop and done properly as they were forged alloys!!

:lol: oh yeah, forged, my arse ;):lol: had to come up sooner or later, older members of the other club will know what I mean :lol:

:lol: oh yeah, forged, my arse ;):lol: had to come up sooner or later, older members of the other club will know what I mean :lol:

Come on.... Share with the newbies :D

They are cast BTW and as heavy as standard wheels.

Anyway what's the problem with forged wheels. They are painted so just need touching up. The skill is in the paint matching. The guy that did mine matched then superbly.

A word of caution.... some time ago I had my two nearside wheels (GT4s) refinished, and a splendid job they did too. But....

On Monday I had two new rear tyres fitted and when the fitter had finished he admitted they'd had problems with paintwork on one of the wheels.

After a lot of discussion we seem to be at the conclusion that the refinished wheel is vulnerable to paint damage, possibly because the paint hasn't been baked.

The symptom seems to be a reaction between the solvent they use for tyre bead sealing and the re-finished areas where the paint just vanishes!

Solution seems to be to make sure your tyre fitter doesn't get any bead sealant on the wheel but confines it to the tyre (these guys tend to use a 4" paintbrush when applying this stuff!!)!

JohnK

p.s. You dont need ot tell me my tyre fitter should have done a better job. I'm just sharing this for those of you with re-finished wheels.