Strange Electric window issue

ab350z

Hi luv2andy - I'm a bit confused with your posts. You've asked for help and people have posted links to try and help you, yet you are saying they are not being helpful. If you are not able to actually fix the issue yourself then you may need to take the car to Nissan. Or if you're not used to forums then spending some time trying to get familiar can pay dividends, and there is no need to be rude to people. There is no snobbery here, if there was we wouldn;t have the biggest 350Z dedicated club in Europe. So if you'd like to clarify what the issue is with what help you have received so far and why it is not helpful, maybe we can narrow down the issue and help get things resolved - if you can do that in an objective fashion.

Thank you.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so polite, but may I say that I had the same problem with my driver window where it would automatically go down halfway when I shut the door.

I asked the question here and got pointed to the guide.

Read the guide, followed instructions and hey presto, not an issue ever since.

I did not "ruin" my beautiful doorcard in the process, I did not "access" any fuse box for the job and I'm damn well not partaking in any "snobbery".

Added the apostrophes cos I don't wanna look "thick", well in your opinion anyway.

If you are not technically able, then perhaps you should take the car to Nissan and pay for the pleasure.

Many Thanks to you all for your help and replies. I do apologise sincerely for jerking your consciousness's'ss and hope the walk round the block aided your relief valve. I suppose we all suffer fools to a greater or lesser extent and I am no-doubt one of the biggest fools on the planet. I also suppose that acting the fool confuses people somewhat and again I apologise for that. The pen/sword deal is a fact and whilst one is writing with tongue in cheek it does not mean that it can be read in such a way as to be funny/peculiar---and hence I feel another apology coming on. Please feel free to call me whatever and I will accept that.

If you can be now bothered with this idiot and his inability to navigate and peruse or ascertain the information no-doubt here within your forum---I will be more specific if you can bear it. When I sometimesopen or close my drivers side door the window mech will not function. Similarly at this time the window open/close mech fails to function. Secondly whilst inspecting the fuse box inside the drivers compartment; as my car is from Japan (aren't they all?) the code or map is not intelligent i.e. I cannot read Japanese. Thirdly am I incorrect in considering that replacing or simply taking out-putting back the fuse (If and when I work out which one it is)--- will this action of its own volition not re-set the now known avenue to the problem?? Again thank you for your (s) attention and hope that this clarifies the situation and goes someway towards my arrogant response being forgiven. :ban: (luv2andy?)

I Fear taking my car to a main dealer as there is to date no scratches anywhere. (ref take car to Nissan) I cannot bear some mechanic attacking it. I tend to be very careful about letting anyone near the car with large spanners etc. Is this fear unfounded? Anyone flew back from Normandy in their z?

Believe it or not, main dealer mechanics don't tend to use spanners to beat the hell out of the panels of owners cars. They are in the main qualified technicians who know that spanners are used on nuts and bolts, I think you are worrying unecessarily about taking the car to Nissan if you have a problem with it.

Not just attacking it but--------putting it around the block--parking it------ someone opening the door next to it after it has been parked----walking by it with said large spanners--------fear basically of letting it go----and the inevitable young lad who is dreaming of Christmas? girls? last night? Mind off the job???

luv2andy, if you had been nicer from the outset and not made an arse of yourself, I'm pretty sure someone with knowledge may have come round your offering help in sorting it, probably for free too (or at least a cup of tea).

As above, there are dealers that are ok, and even so, if you are that worried about the car getting damaged, then just make a point of taking photos of the whole exterior/interior after dropping the car off, then they cannot argue should any damage appear, also take a pic of the speedometer, so you can tell whether they have taken the car for a spin or not. Do all this obviously infront of them so they see you doing it.

Hi ab350z---thank you, unfortunately the main dealer where I am is not has not reputation goodly. Many stories of full servicing being paid for but not done. Wrecking gaskets sending cars back leaking oil denying knowledge etc.

Hi ab350z---thank you, unfortunately the main dealer where I am is not has not reputation goodly. Many stories of full servicing being paid for but not done. Wrecking gaskets sending cars back leaking oil denying knowledge etc.

You got a car...."drive" it to another dealer.

It's not uncommon for some of us to travel, because the level of service is worth it.

If you were to let us know what area of the UK you are in, then perhaps we could point you to a "good" dealer...

Right, to try and help, it sounds like you have a faulty window mech (as do I at the moment). You will need to replace it and that means taking the door card off and using some tools to change the motor. Good luck with either doing it yourself or using an approved Nissan dealer. Who will not intentionally ruin your car. :)

hello to h5. Whilst pondering the key question ref "strange elactric window issue" ----- may I ask you what you will do ? Will you bother to do it yourself; or go to your main dealer? Has your local Nissan dealer a good rep--I am in South East or East Anglia --and I am not suggesting any main dealer would knowingly or wantonly wish to damage the vehicle. It is just that we, as owners, care a bit more for the car----and to them it is just another door panel. Good mechanics are great. How long do these subjects, on average, get responses to/from? (dazed but not con fused)

East Anglia, that's where I am from.

I have spoken to a few 350Z owners local to the area, and it seems that Marshalls Nissan in Bury St.Edmunds would be the dealer of choice.

This dealer knows the value of return business and has proven to provide a good to high level of standard.

Used to be family run before it was Marshalls, the majority of staff and mechanics stayed and continue to provide the service this garage was known for.

Personally, if it's a minor electrical issue I can fix myself, then I will at least attempt to fix it myself, but should I get stuck, will most likely take it to a dealer.

Remember, dealer charge by the hour, your own labour is free.

Whatever you do, don't take it to Glyn Hopkin, they have had bad reviews in the past.

Hope this helps

To throw a complete spanner in the works, I will probably do it myself with my ICE installers as the doors have been, um, modified a bit!

So my recommendation would be either look at one of the guides on the site here about removing the door card and changing the motor yourself, or call a dealer and see how much they would want to do the work. If you want to know what dealers are ok, then look in the dealer section as we keep a list of those who have been good or not. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the info regarding dealers. So the motor is u/s then, and not needing to be reset? If this is the case, is any other Nissan elecric window motor the same part number; or is the z specific only? Thanks again for your input.

I would do the following things:

1. Try the rest procedure if you can yourself

2. If 1. is successful, job done. If not, get a quote from a dealer to replace the part.

3. If you think you can change it yourself, look for a replacement motor from elsewhere or Nissan and fit it yourself.

Hopefully that makes sense?