Nissan dealers putting me off JDM's

rickya

:angry:

I went to test drive a 350z in Watford Nissan last month, they got back to me today about purchasing one. I said the current UK ones are a bit expensive & I have been considering a JDM saving myself approx £4,000.

Well he tried saying they dont come with brembos & xenons etc but I corrected him that there are many imports available with all these bits. (dont mess Iv been reading up & am a 350z forum member!!) :D

Anyway two points he raised which I do not know the answer to:

1) He said due to smaller engine breather pipes (though I thought it was mainly the radiator difference) in the JDM, it sounds like a quote" xr3i" & not like a 350z should. I have not heard of there being this sound difference?

2) He said that the JDM has traction control but not ESP (stability control) which the UK ones do have. If this is so what if any differences will a lack of ESP make to a JDM car. (This is I suppose is also affected by factors such as stiffer suspension in JDM cars)?

:angry:

I went to test drive a 350z in Watford Nissan last month, they got back to me today about purchasing one. I said the current UK ones are a bit expensive & I have been considering a JDM saving myself approx £4,000.

Well he tried saying they dont come with brembos & xenons etc but I corrected him that there are many imports available with all these bits. (dont mess Iv been reading up & am a 350z forum member!!) :D

Anyway two points he raised which I do not know the answer to:

1) He said due to smaller engine breather pipes (though I thought it was mainly the radiator difference) in the JDM, it sounds like a quote" xr3i" & not like a 350z should. I have not heard of there being this sound difference?

2) He said that the JDM has traction control but not ESP (stability control) which the UK ones do have. If this is so what if any differences will a lack of ESP make to a JDM car. (This is I suppose is also affected by factors such as stiffer suspension in JDM cars)?

point 1 absolute garbage !!

point 2 yes some have TCS traction control, but higher spec imports have same system as a UK one , mine has tcs ,not esp.. but never noticed anything detrimental in ride ,especially as I usually have it switched off :thumbs:

BUT see it from the dealers point of view ,he,s got to tell you something to get you to spend more money :blush:

BUT see it from the dealers point of view ,he,s got to tell you something to get you to spend more money

I wish they'd stop doing that! :rant:

Unless they have a very good reason to persuade you to buy a UK one, which they usually don't.

Unfortunately UK dealers will almost always try and put people off a JDM car.

They are afterall, in business to sell you their product, and have a vested interest in making sure people wish to purchase a UK car.

I had exactly the same issue when shopping for three company Golfs. The VW dealers tried spinning me all sorts of crap to put me off imports. The list included - lights the wrong way round, engine air pipes different, guages different, trip computers different, and dealers would refuse to service it and stamp the book.

As it happens, we ended up buying two import golfs. Both came with higher spec than UK cars (heated seats, lamp washers, heated washer jets, climate control) - and both have been rock solid for four years. And both were cheaper.

One has needed a single brake light switch, which was sourced without issue from a main dealer.

And they have both been serviced without any question by VW, and the service book stamped.

It is often the case that members of car enthusiast forums, especially those dedicated to one particular marque, will often know far more about the car than any dealership.

This has certainly been my experience for the Golf.

As long as you research your intended purchase fully - which you are doing by asking questions of existing JDM owners, then you will be fully aware of all the differences.

was the sales man a morrocon looking guy, young, quite short and a shaved head. If it was a heard exactly the same thing and thought what a load of bollox. he also said that there was a paint problem with all black 350z and a common problem is literally golf ball sized flakes of paint coming off. no other dealer had heard of this. I wreckon, that there were no black ones within their network and they just wanted to shift another one on heir forecourt.

I dont trust that guy, he is very nice when he thinks he may get a sale, but the moment the buyer shows a little doubt he turns in to a bit of a ****. Go down to the nissan dealership in mill hill as it is not too far from watford. Top guys down there

Yeah that was the guy he's from Morroco (i think his names Anwar or sumit). He put me on the phone to another salesman who talked even more crap than him! Not very polite when I mentioned JDM. Anyway thanks for the advice I will go to Mill Hill in the future.