Problems with the z

drbrunel

Took the car out for a late night blast on a private road obviously :D

Noticed that the car seems to shake through the steering wheel from 90 mph upwards and gets progressively worse.

Ive just had the front brake pads and discs changed and know I need the same doing for the rear but dont think its a break problem because this happens when not braking

Anyone have any idea what this can be?

Cheers

What wheels do you have on there? Usual causes are poorly balanced wheels (either the balance weights are off or if you have cheap wheels they might not be balanced), maybe not done up in the correct order (in the start shape progressively done) so might be tighter on one nutt than the others pulling it in a bit. Or maybe it needed a spiggott ring but it wasnt used. Also if new discs were fitted, the mating surface may not have been clean so the disc isnt sitting flat and thus the wheel isnt sitting flat.

Best thing to do is to whip them off and put them back on, progressively doing the nutts up tighter in the star shape (do opposing nuts up working your way around, dont go around in a circle). See if that solves it, if not I would go back to the place that fitted them and ask them to look at it. That is of course if it didnt do it before they worked on it :thumbs:

thanks for intial thoughts guys. Its completely standard in terms of wheels and suspension. In all honesty I dont know if it was doing it before I had the brakes fitted as its been a while since Ive really taken the z for a serious blasting.

Discs were changed by a mechanic so im sure he would have put the wheels on properly but ill check.

Car has done 53000, its been a while since the wheels were balanced. (one thing i did notice when the tyres were off was some strange wear right on the inside lip) so maybe needs alignment checked as well but then again I havent hit anything)