Laguna's wondering if the Utec GB will ever happen

laguna seca

well well well, some interesting developments.... listen to this guys

Thor-racing (known tuners in Warwickshire) have just recently become TurboXS UK distributors! Mark (US TXS owner) told them about our GB, but he never mentioned anything to me! ie. we could have salvaged this GB as there wouldn't have been any need to keep messing around with TDi's schedule as Thor have their own DynaPack dyno (same as Abbey) PLUS they are UK distributors for the UTEC!

I know some of you guys were just interested for the price of $700 including all switches and sensors, and were not interested in the installation/tuning, but for those who are interested in the tuning side of it, (like I am) I think we can do something with Thor without having to involve Jermaine (unreliable with regards to coming over here...) let the Thor guys get trained up on the UTEC on their own account, then try again with them directly! Now I have only verbally spoken to them @ JapShow (they had UTECs on show, that rang a bell! :lol:) but I'm going to ring them/email them tomorrow and see what they can do price wise and will report back! As long as they are competitive price wise (and don't need a guinea pig car as they'll sort their own training, but surely they'll be ok since they tune all sorts of other EMS, have a nose @ their site! www.thor-racing.co.uk ) I'm looking forward to have a go with them and not involve any foreign entity :teeth:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done a a bit of investigations on the TXS site and the the Thor site, to compare retail prices on TXS items. Thr only have a coupls of itmes with prices on their site (the knocklite being one) and to compare the markup: knocklite from TXS US is $129 and Thor makes it £88.13 incl vat, so won't hold my breath with regards to what price I can get out of them for the UTEC... we'll see

I'm definitely getting a unit, after pondering briefly the idea of an SZ or a V PRO, I concluded that it's not what I'm looking for.

Whether it'll be importing it from the US (not TXS directly) or getting it from Thor, it remains to be seen.

:lol: they just priced themselves out of the UK market then, I'm actually going there tomorrow morning as I've got a meeting not too far from there in the afternoon, will see what i can do. UTECS from the US even retail are $1k !!!! madness if that's what they are going to offer us :)

Still if I have to resort to importing one I will do and as long as they can map it professionally, with no need to have guinea pig 350Zs , I'll just use them for that

Thats the main thing in my mind, someone who can map it.

My mate with a 800bhp supra has used Thor, they are excellent, really know their stuff.

However, I've heard a few horror stories though as well. Would be good to see how far they get with the Z.

been there to see Pete & Co. today.

to be very honest, the workshop doesn't really give the best impression when you get in. That wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I got a perfect service, though. Stephen care to share your horror stories???

Anyway, that's what Pete can offer us, all EXCLUSIVE of VAT and at today's exchange rate:

UTEC: £650 to the public and map switch £50 (he sd he did the pricing for the net when the dollar was stronger)

Group buy: 1-4 5-9 10+

Price £580 £460 £350

map switch £45 £35 £25

Pete said he's not bothered whether we get our UTECs somewhere else (ie Sharif or anywhere else in the US) but of course he won't "service them" ie if we get a duff one we have to send it back to the US. If we got the UTECs from him of course he'd honour warranty himself.

For your info one of the 2 Italian ones is apparently giving issues to the owner where the MAF sensor voltage reads max voltage with the car switched off.

Tuning: Pete is prepared to just tune them and his fees are (all PLUS VAT):

1 hr £100

for 4 hours or over he can discount it: 4hr £350 and 8hr £650

This would be for tuning and install of course. He estimated about 2 hours per car. The Italian tuner took 4 hours.

Pete also admitted he hasn't seen the software yet or how difficult the installation could be, nor he's had any specific tuning training from Jermaine & Co.

He does tune all sorts of other EMS though.

I personally don't really know what to do. In all honesty, he didn't inspire me the greatest confidence, despite all my goodwill and having waited to speak to him for about an hour +. (partially my fault as I turned up unexpected)

This whole EMS issue is really doing my head in guys :(

Guest prescience

Val,

Did you happen to ask about the MAP (boost) sensor needed for FI, there is no mention of this above and no mention/pricing on Thor's website either ;)

it's $119 from Sharif, so compare it to what he charges for the $79 map switch mate, you'll be close enough :)

g_ nowhere near as what we were offered by Jermaine & Co though :(

I keep on wondering why TXS never mentioned Thor to me, i asked Pete when they became TXS distributors, he sd about 2 and a half months ago!!!! right in the middle of our GB!!! I keep thinking we could have made life a lot easier for everyone (including me) using Thor's dyno in the first place! (and there wouldn't have been need to cancel the original GB! ) madness :(

I'm interested for tuning but I think the UTEC is gonna end up cheaper from Sharif, will shoot him an email if we get some numbers up

Valerio

G_thorpins

Guest prescience
it's $119 from Sharif, so compare it to what he charges for the $79 map switch mate, you'll be close enough :)

g_ nowhere near as what we were offered by Jermaine & Co though :(

I keep on wondering why TXS never mentioned Thor to me, i asked Pete when they became TXS distributors, he sd about 2 and a half months ago!!!! right in the middle of our GB!!! I keep thinking we could have made life a lot easier for everyone (including me) using Thor's dyno in the first place! (and there wouldn't have been need to cancel the original GB! ) madness :(

I'm interested for tuning but I think it's gonna end up cheaper from Sharif, will shoot him an email if we get some numbers up

Valerio

G_thorpins

OK thanks. Still interested if the price is right; gut feeling is that Sharif will do us a deal for 10+ units

Guest prescience
with 10+ Pete's very competitive too :) £350+vat is good stuff

Very true, hadn't read that closely - that is a good price and a big differential vs 460 for 9 or less (over 20%) :D

We should aim for 10

Guest prescience

you in then Dorian?

Only at the 10+ rate, I'm afraid, otherwise I will import

well yeah same for me.

only worries are what's happening with one of the 2 installed in Italy. ie car is not starting anymore with the UTEC plugged in, and the prospect to have to ship it back to Sharif is looming already :dry: Possible issues would be the only reason for using Thor to buy the UTEC in the first place