Wheel Brands.....

Jacko

Guys,

I'm getting slowly taken over by the idea of modding my car. As much as I love the Rays alloys, I'm thinking about changing them for some 19"ers...

But I don't want some that are going to be a lot heavier than the Rays as then I'm just going to increase the unsprung weight and potentially affect the handling. Not bothered about the odd Kg etc..... but nothing really heavy.

Now I've started to have a look around and seen some that I really like the look over but the problem is that I don't really know what are reputable quality good brands and what are crap,

So far, I've seen wheels that I really like in 19" by both Momo and Oz Racing. Does anyone have any comments on those brands and anywhere good that stocks them as I'd like to get a ballpark figure?

I love the look of these certain momo ones but worried about them seeming a bit "chavvy" as Momo seem to be one of those brands that anyone trying to soup up their 1.1L Corsa use..... :blush:

Can Funkystyling get Momos?

Awaiting the valuable input .......

MOMO and OZ are good brands, imo. Italian companies, both involved heavily in the racing scene, and quality is very good. Make sure you get some forged alloys to keep the weight down, not necessarily all models will be :)

MOMO and OZ are good brands, imo. Italian companies, both involved heavily in the racing scene, and quality is very good. Make sure you get some forged alloys to keep the weight down, not necessarily all models will be :)

Thanks Val,

Yeah I think the Momo ones that I like, are their top of the range models.... so looked pricey on first look.

Don't suppose you know a place that stocks them or Oz do you ?

oZ racing website

http://www.ozracing.com/2006/pages/index.php?lang=it

if they make the wheels of the Veyron, they are good for my Z! B)

momo website

http://www.momo.it/

Thanks Val,

Thats good, I've now gone up in my narrowing down to about 7 different sets! :D

Going to have to investigate sizes and fitments now and whether they are forged.

Another question, should I be going for 1 or 2 piece wheels?

IIRC during my own research days (when i was looking for my own wheels) this is just the way they are built. In the WORK (very glossy) brochure they explained these types (and the 3 piece ones too) and it seemed to me that it would only make a difference when you went to try and repair broken wheels. Mine are 2 piece, for example, Kev's are either 2 piece or even 3 piece. Someone else want to chime in? :)

for the sizes, post here too as you have to make sure they fit, don't forget to ask if they clear the Brembos or not (offset related)! B)

If I were you, i'd just go for which ever ones you like the look of most. After all, it's you that has to look at them every day!!!!

IMHO, for day to day driving you're really not going to find any noticeable difference in the handling just because of the slight increase in weight etc, and if you're tracking it alot then chances are you'll have a separate set of wheels for that anyway....

Joe

I had some OZ vella st - (3 piece split rims) on my boxster, only had them a year and they were starting to show signs of corrosion, was miffed to say the least given the cost :angry:

so would try another brand next time

I had some OZ vella st - (3 piece split rims) on my boxster, only had them a year and they were starting to show signs of corrosion, was miffed to say the least given the cost :angry:

so would try another brand next time

mate expensive wheels no matter what brand definitely don't like road salt in the winter, at all!

hence why i keep my shite oem ones for the winter season :)

Right chaps,

I've now come up with one of 4 sets of Volk Racing wheels and a Racing Hart set that I like in 19".

Just wondering:

a) Anyone know anyone in the UK who is decent for Volk prices?

B) Is it worthwhile, or much better to import from the states?

c) Can anyone provide me with a decent website from the states to buy Volk from? so I can look at prices.

d) Assuming that its not worth getting a tyre package from the states as you increase shipping weight?

e) Anyone done anything with these guys? http://www.wheelsdirectonline.com/g35350z.htm

Thanks as always :D (that's assuming I get a decent response... ;) )

a) get them from the US unless you are 100% that people like Envy have them in stock, ask NickMSM about his problems :)

B) yes IMO

c)www.mynismo.com or any of the guys present on here like Z1Auto, CPrace (do they do wheels?) or keep an eye on the US forums for their sponsors' offers, they like to have good forum users' reputation and look after their customers

d)yeah tyre prices are basically the same (when i bought mine I compared and they were the same ish) so you can get them here

e)never heard of them

• 4 weeks later...

My 1st business was selling wheels OZ are top quality but momos are a bit soft.

I would go for Volks

a) Anyone know anyone in the UK who is decent for Volk prices? I can get them but its cheaper from the US plus even for my own set i had to wait 16 weeks

B) Is it worthwhile, or much better to import from the states? As above ;)

c) Can anyone provide me with a decent website from the states to buy Volk from? so I can look at prices. my350z.com is a good start

d) Assuming that its not worth getting a tyre package from the states as you increase shipping weight? Tyres are cheper there too

e) Anyone done anything with these guys? http://www.wheelsdirectonline.com/g35350z.htm dont have a clue mate

Guest prescience
My 1st business was selling wheels OZ are top quality but momos are a bit soft.

I would go for Volks

a) Anyone know anyone in the UK who is decent for Volk prices? I can get them but its cheaper from the US plus even for my own set i had to wait 16 weeks

B) Is it worthwhile, or much better to import from the states? As above ;)

c) Can anyone provide me with a decent website from the states to buy Volk from? so I can look at prices. my350z.com is a good start

d) Assuming that its not worth getting a tyre package from the states as you increase shipping weight? Tyres are cheper there too

e) Anyone done anything with these guys? http://www.wheelsdirectonline.com/g35350z.htm dont have a clue mate

www.whifbitz.co.uk quoted me £583 for a replacement front wheel or just over 2k for all four. Originally I imported from the US and with Toyo's ('bout £800) it cost me £2600. So I think that is good.

hi jacko........... dose this mean ur selling your rays............ :teeth:

Hi Stuey.....

I've not 100% made up my mind yet. I've got some Volks of Baptist which I'm going to be fitting, but tbh I might try and keep the Rays for Winter. Save all the crap of winter going on the Volks. Pretty sure the Rays will stand up to it better.....

But if I do decide to sell, then I'll post here first. I know there are one or two other interested parties as well :D