Nismo cat back exhaust - how reliable is it?

matth76

Hi

How reliable is the Nismo cat back exhaust - is it prone to cracking at the joints or is generally a very good quality exhaust system up there with the likes of HKS etc? Does it have the usual stainless steel exhaust "million mile / lifetime warranty"? I really like the look of the Nismo (similar to stock rolled tail pipes which is what I want) and the sound is similar to stock (again what I wanted) but with a bit more grunt. Just need to ensure it is 100% reliable or if not are there any other exhausts similar to the stock tail pipes with a nice noise like the Nismo? Only one I've seen similar is the Invidia Q300 which looks very good quality more so than the Nismo but as yet never heard one at all as it's so new. The Invidia G200 could be an option - not sure on the slash cut tails though. Other good thing about the Invidia ones are that they are true dual which the Nismo is not so would generate a lot more power.

Thanks for any help.

the Y pipes can crack when mated to some aftermarket test pipes and cats (most notably, Kinetix and Crawford)

I recall a number of UK cars where this has been a problem. The quality isn't all its cracked up to be.

the Y pipes can crack when mated to some aftermarket test pipes and cats (most notably, Kinetix and Crawford)

I recall a number of UK cars where this has been a problem. The quality isn't all its cracked up to be.

Really? Not heard of that.........is the problem ONLY with aftermarket cats?

Really? Not heard of that.........is the problem ONLY with aftermarket cats?

Yes someone down south had multiple failures using after market cats but i cant remember who it was :)

:edit: found it

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=12146&hilit=nismo+y+pipe+failure

I seem to remember Phil saying the problem was with cats that arent braced causing the movement and cracking tehe Y-pipe. If the cats are secured as the OEM ones are he seemed to think it wasnt a problem :)

Not true unfortunately, it has to do more with the quality of the flanges used on the aftermarket cats, and the angles they were welded at. Many of them are just off by enough to cause alot of stress in the Y pipe, which manifests itself in the flex section (the flex ends of cracking, not the braided portion itself. The 2 most frequent combos have been with kinetix and crawford cats.

I'd be leaving the stock oem cats in. Adam, just to confirm, if the stock cats are left in and the Nismo exhaust is mated up to them then there should be no issues at all? Is the bore diameter 3" for the Nismo cat back exhaust compared to the stock exhaust at 2.25"? Are the tail pipes the same size as the stock ones?

I'd be leaving the stock oem cats in. Adam, just to confirm, if the stock cats are left in and the Nismo exhaust is mated up to them then there should be no issues at all? Is the bore diameter 3" for the Nismo cat back exhaust compared to the stock exhaust at 2.25"?

I have the nismo fitted to the standard cats and it is fine with no issues. :thumbs:

the NISMO midpipe is 3 inches correct - I believe stock is 2.5 inches I'd have to measure my OEM one which is here at the shop). NISMO tips are similarly sized to OEM..maybe a touch larger

I've never had a single issue with the NISMO exhaust and the stock cats. We've also done about 30 setups with the Ultimate Racing cats, to customers here in the states, in Italy and Spain and I'm not aware of any issues there either. It's all down to the quality of manufacturing with respect to the cat flanges. Some of the ones I've seen were just wrong, which is why we just stick to selling what we know works, vs offering everything under the sun. For test pipes, we've done these mainly with the Invidia units and again, no reported incidents at all