Squeaking/creaking when braking while reversing

matth76

Hi

I seem to get loud squeaking/creaking when braking while reversing slowly. I've had all the brake pads only last week. The creaking noise was present before the brakes were done so I naturally thought the noise was because my pads needed doing. However I've noticed the noise is still present. What could it be? I know it could be that the pads need "re-greasing" (does this involved all the pads coming off again?). However could it be another part that needs re-greasing or replacing? Please note the noise is not the "clicking" you get from faulty drop links. The noise I am getting is a "screeching"/creaking noise that you would normally associate with your brakes but it could be another part of my car in this case. It doesn't seem to happen when I brake when I'm moving forward - only when reversing, even more so if reversing slowly down a hill.

Thanks for any help and info.

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like I need both done because I have the clicking too! Are both very quick and easy to do (how long approximately to do the droplinks?) - is it better having the drop links actually replaced - if so how cheap are the parts?

Also, the clicking driveshafts is a common issue is it not - so should this be covered under Nissan extended warranty? Is it something I can ask my local dealer to fix and what is involved with fixing the rear driveshafts (do the whole rear drive shafts need replacing??) or is it just a re-greasing or should I ask them to replace certain parts (just so I go armed with knowledge!)?

Thanks again for all the help.

This is the TSB bud.

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/TSB_04-0 ... _Rear_Axle

It says for 03 cars but they dont ever seem to have sorted it. Mine clicks and its an 05.

The dealer may try the quick fix which is to grease it. It will probably come back though.

ZMANALEX sells the kit to fix it if the dealer wont do it.

The dealer charges over 1k so expect a fight.

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like I need both done because I have the clicking too! Are both very quick and easy to do (how long approximately to do the droplinks?) - is it better having the drop links actually replaced - if so how cheap are the parts?

Also, the clicking driveshafts is a common issue is it not - so should this be covered under Nissan extended warranty? Is it something I can ask my local dealer to fix and what is involved with fixing the rear driveshafts (do the whole rear drive shafts need replacing??) or is it just a re-greasing or should I ask them to replace certain parts (just so I go armed with knowledge!)?

Thanks again for all the help.

The clicky axle is a warranty issue. If not the Zmanalex sells uprated bits to fix it.

The drop links I'm unsure of..... I just did mine myself (re greased) but I think they are £35 or something for nissan replacement. No idea where I got that fiqure from.... must have read it somewhere.

Cheers guys. Can anyone here confirm if they got their car's "clicking" rear axle covered under extended mfr warranty - where your car is a 2005 or later?

Is there a pic anywhere showing the drop links so I can see the part to re-grease? Is WD40 not a good idea?

pic of the sway bar setup, although this is a different bar I have used this pic because it is easy to point you i the right direction.

The right hand end of the blue bar shows the connector or drop link, it is this drop link which needs lubricating. If you look carefully you willsee the rubber which needs to be pulled back and then use a staightforward spray grease, mostof thse come with a small straw attachment to make it easier to direct the spray right inside the rubber.

swaybar.jpg

BigPhilSig1.jpg

Here you go. The bit that is vertical at the end of the blue bar. You can't miss it when you look underneath really.

Thanks guys. I'll have a go at doing it when I put it on a ramp (my gf's dad has one). Will WD40 be ok for me to use or is there another type/make of oil spray I should use instead that people recommend?

Can I also re-grease the parts that are causing the clicking issue or is this more indepth requiring parts to be dismantled?

Has anyone here with a 2005 or later car with the clicking issue had it fixed under Nissan warranty? The TSB for some reason only applies to the earlier 2003/2004 which is a bit cheeky.

Dont use wd40 use spray grease with a straw attachment :thumbs:

the clicking issue has varying degrees of success, most need replacing but nissan will nearly always try rotating them 180 degrees and re-greasing them

sorry i cant help on the warranty issue :surrender:

Right, I'm sure I can here the odd 'click' coming from the rear of my newly purchased car (53-plate), and perhaps the odd squeek. Neither particularly bother me TBH, unless of course this is a sign of wear or deterioration that will worsen and affect performance / handling etc. Anybody know if this is the case, or really is just an annoying noise..?

My car is in for a P2 service on Monday at a Nissan dealer (Mackie Motors, Arbroath), so I'll quiz them on it when I'm there, as apparently they know the 350Z pretty well (of course they do, they sell Nissans, but you know what I mean.. :p ) and if it is, might investigate the warranty situation. As I said, cant say it would particularly bother me, but I still would like it fixed if its really an issue...

Ross

Tried to look for the drop links today when I jacked the car up but couldn't find them as in the photo posted. Are they just in front of the rear wheels or closer to the front wheels, or right near the back near the exhaust just behind the rear wheels? Thanks for any info.

Ayup mate.

Did mine yesterday and they are easy to find if you grab hold of the sway bar.

They are just in front of the rear wheels and i couldn't get to mine without putting the car up on ramps!!. Then you can see them easily.

They are a little awkward to reach.

But grab hold of the sway bar and try to move it, you'll then hear the creaking.

On the drop links where you need to grease are rubber covers, which you'll need to move slightly to get the spray Grease straw into. I did both top and bottom joints on the droplinks.

Both top and bottom have rubber covers.

Good luck mate.

Cheers Dave.