Track day Mods

DJC

Have now done two track days with my bog standard Z and have been very impressed with it's performance - 1.01min lap times at Brands with a passenger, full tank of petrol and spare wheel etc - oh, and driven by a complete beginner. The only downside of the Zs performance was it brakes - they got red hot and a bit spongy after 5 or so laps - can't afford a full brake kit but i reckon i might be able to stretch to some new pads - any recommendations? I need something that will work on the road as well. Secondly, my tyres are starting to get a little low on tread so was wondering what to go for? I presume standard size? Would prefer something that will managed a few miles before shredding! Down the line i will need a little more straight line power - any thoughts so i can start saving up.

DJC

I believe Ferrodo DS2500 are good on road and track. Maybe upgrade the fluid to something like RBF600 too.

Tyres, Toyo T1Rs are good on road and are used by some on track. Michelin PS2s get a good rep too.

Loads are using Falken FK452s but not sure what they are like on track....

As for power..... get rid of some of the weight....... Maybe a plenum spacer for a little extra torque coming out of corners. Suspension so you are faster through the corners.

As has already been said, you should upgrade the fluid and pads for starters. Something like Castrol SRF fluid and possibly DS 3000 pads for harder use. You're going to shred whatever tyres you fit so its really about the trade off between cost and performance. I don't have any experience of Toyo R1s so can't comment on them. I have used PS2's for some time now though and they are excellent in both wet and dry conditions, but do cost more than most.

We have ferrodo DS2500's and RBF600 brake fluid in our Z. Served us well around the track and at Milbrook. Don't have braided lines, but that would be the next step (tend to use the skyline for the track now, which is why I haven't fitted them yet).

DS3000's will be a bit too hard for road use I think - you're not going to have enough heat in the brakes for them to be fully effective.

I've recently changed from DS2500's to Carbotech pads on the GTR, and they're better again - downside is they are quite squeaky at low speed.

Best price I got for DS2500's was from Allyn at ASP performance (stockcar on the Mitsubishi Lancer Register). Carbotechs are available from thetyrant, also on the MLR (he's very helpful).

Road tyres are always going to be a weak point on the track. I've run with Toyo Proxes and Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics - not a huge amount in them. They all go off after a few laps of hard driving. Definitely the biggest limitation to getting max laps in once brakes are sorted.

Think seriously about getting a spare set of alloys (go for 17's as smaller tyres are cheaper) with dedicated track tyres. A set of toyo proxes r888 will allow you to drive to the track - they're (just) street legal, and will make a HUGE difference to your day. Slicks are even cheaper (around £80 a tyre), so they're an even better bet. Unfortunately, they're not street legal, so you'd have to find a way of getting the wheels to the track, and changing them there. Pretty tight squeeze in a Z....

I'd only think about suspension once you've done brakes and tyres. Fiddling with the engine is a big money step as you'll end up having to upgrade the radiator, fit oil coolers etc as well as anything else you do. It's a downward spiral!!! Best advice (if you're married) is to get your wife involved - that way there'll be less moaning about the money you start spending :D!!!