Topics not appearing in 'view unread posts'

Hey,

I dont know if im paranoid but i swear that some topics mustn't be appearing when i click View Unread Posts...

Its happened about 5 or 6 times since we swapped forums that i'll see a topic that has a bunch of replies from other poeple, and its definitely something i would have wanted to read, but i only just see it maybe 1 or 2 days late...! And its highly unlikely that i would have missed it or that it was far back, as whenever i log on i always go back enough pages to see posts made since i last logged in...!

Where are you seeing the thread that you're then not seeing in the unread posts??

It will just appear in Unread Posts as if its been there all along...! Just maybe hours or days late... :headhurt:

Its not a regular issue though (i dont think), so will be hard to trace...

Im not aware of any issues with the unread posts links.

Due to how busy this board is becoming (over 4,500 posts in one week), we have added a few different ways of viewing posts.

There are now several ways of viewing posts depending on what you want to see - it may be that you clicked one rather than the other....

1. View Unanswered posts:

This allows you to view all posts/topics to which nobody has ever replied.

2. View Active Topics:

This shows you the topics which have had activity within the last XX period (this period is default 7 days, but can be changed as you wish at the bottom of the page)

3. View New Posts:

This shows you any new/unread posts since your last visit to the site.

4. View Unread Posts:

This shows you all unread topics/posts regardless of your last visit time

5. View Your Posts:

This shows any topics which you have contributed to. They will show as unread if there is activity since your last logon.

I hope this helps :thumbs:

Another contributing factor if this issue has only been seen a couple of times, is that when I am working on the site, sometimes I need to flush the sites cache (this caches various items including sql results for recent searches), it may well be that I have flushed the cache at the same moment you were performing an unread posts search which could have caused the issue, and the thread then pops up again in your unread posts when there has been another relpy.

I do try to keep this to a minimum, but it depends on timing, and it may just be pure bad luck that I happen to do it at the time you click your unread posts button.

• 3 months later...

Hmmm... i think this bug is rearing its head again!

Probably another 4 times over the last 3 or 4 days there have been topics that i've missed...

The one example i have to hand is the following...:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=25350

Chris, i doubt that you can check times which this record was retrieved in my 'view unread posts' search, but all i can say is that i've checked the forum probably 8 times throughout today, and this topic didnt appear until around 20mins ago - approx 9 hours after it was created!!

...and i realise that srobrien has updated the thread title, but im not being a tool - It wasnt there!!

It could also be to do with the domain name change - the domain is now held under another registrar, but Im not certain that this would cause the issue.

I have indeed flushed the cache recently when making changes to banner logos etc and of course updating the ban list.

Do you use two different PC's to view the site? If so it may be highetened security levels on one which is not allowing the cookie to be updated which will control which posts apprear as unread.

Ive checked your "time last visited" and there appears to be nothing funny going on there.

Perhaps it may be worth logging off, clearing the 350z-uk.com cookies from your PC and then logging in again. Sort of a reeboot for your login status on the forum if you will. This may clear your unread posts, but could help the issue. It may be that during the time we were moving to the new software you picked up a cookie that was set to the temporary area we were building the site in. The above should ensure you have everything set ok.

Ill try and look into it further and see if there is anything else that could be causing this for you.

It could also be to do with the domain name change - the domain is now held under another registrar, but Im not certain that this would cause the issue.

I have indeed flushed the cache recently when making changes to banner logos etc and of course updating the ban list.

Do you use two different PC's to view the site? If so it may be highetened security levels on one which is not allowing the cookie to be updated which will control which posts apprear as unread.

Ive checked your "time last visited" and there appears to be nothing funny going on there.

Perhaps it may be worth logging off, clearing the 350z-uk.com cookies from your PC and then logging in again. Sort of a reeboot for your login status on the forum if you will. This may clear your unread posts, but could help the issue. It may be that during the time we were moving to the new software you picked up a cookie that was set to the temporary area we were building the site in. The above should ensure you have everything set ok.

Ill try and look into it further and see if there is anything else that could be causing this for you.

Great, nice one chris.

Yes, i do indeed use 2 PC's... work, and home. I shall clear the cookies from both today.

Dont spend too long looking into it... nobody else seems to notice! (or it probably isnt occurring for them.)

Cheers

Chris.

Dont forget to check the security levels or perhaps if they cant be altered see if you can add security exceptions for cookies from this site.

Do you have a short hourney from home to work? it could be that one session is not expiring before you start another on the other PC.

Logging out of the forum before going to use it at anothr location should work too - but thats a bit of a sledgehammer and nut fix to be honest.

Dont forget to check the security levels or perhaps if they cant be altered see if you can add security exceptions for cookies from this site.

Do you have a short hourney from home to work? it could be that one session is not expiring before you start another on the other PC.

Logging out of the forum before going to use it at anothr location should work too - but thats a bit of a sledgehammer and nut fix to be honest.

Yeh, 20min journey normally. And the first thing i do when i get home is flick the laptop on.

As for settings, both are set low, i cant be doing with microsoft protecting me from my own shadow.

Its odd that it only happens occasionally though... as in i've not had the issue since the week we went live on this version.