1st Time Car Detailing Shopping List

maestegman

First of all, many thanks for all the fab advice I've receiving since joining. You guys/gals are ace! :#1:

OK. After ploughing through this site (and others), I've come up with the following shopping list (VAT added in TOTAL) to smarten up my 54 gunmetal grey GT Zed with orange leather interior:

Poorboys Natural Look Dressing £8.65

Huge 38" x 28" Microfibre Drying Towel £8.65

Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt £7.78

Dodo Juice - Rainforest Rub £25.65

Dodo Juice - Born to be mild shampoo 250ml £7.78

Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze £11.26

Sonus Der Wunder Polishing Towel, Pkg/2 £6.04

Chemical Guys - Extreme Top-Coat £10.39

Poorboys Wheel Sealant £11.26

1-inch round Wheel and Detail brush £2.57

Ultra Plush Microfibre Cloths Pkg/3 16" x 16" £9.52

Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit £19.96

TOTAL = £148.95 (inc. VAT) plus delivery :scare:

The prices quoted are from Clean Your Car (although I'd be more than happy to purchase elsewhere if cheaper) ;)

Before I press the "Checkout Confirm" button, I'd welcome your take on my list. Especially if you think there are better/more cost effective alternatives for my car. I don't particularly want to spend much more than £150. I'd like to order ASAP as I've managed to sort out some double garage space on the weekend.

I'd also like to add that I'm trying my best to reconcile this cost against the fact that I could get 5 decent wash/interior/wax valets from a local firm for the same money.

What do you think?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Autoglym SRP?

Foam Applicators?

Bilberry Wheel Cleaner?

Brake Dust remover / wheel brush?

Seperate mit for wheels? Dosnt have to be lambswool but worth having a spererate one so you dont mix them up. Also worth looking at the Schmits, havnt got one but I think a few on here swear by them.

If you PM Andy on here he may have access to some of the Megs stuff. Also isnt there a group buy going on?

I'd ditch the megs clay kit. Try bilt hamber or Sonus.

I notice there is no polish at all. All the finishing products won't be as good without a polished surface.

Autoglym SRP is fine (with fillers) or how about Poorbooys SSR stuff?

Not sure what extreme top coat does to be honest......

Agree on seperate mitts and two buckets!

Also try a hunt around for detaillers start up kits. You tend to get smaller bottles of the essentials. Basically, for starters I would get comfortable with a good wash, polish and wax. Build up from there. Get the good basic 2BM method nailed with grit guard and hand applying polish and wax. AG SRP is a good start as the fillers will help with the swirl marks. Then you can move onto different products. IMO Dodo products seem to be expensive for the amount you get, so while I sing the praises of the waxes, I would look into getting PB or Chemical Guys shampoos as you get more for your money. Leave claying until you are happy with the other basic procedures (but if you are already happy with them go for BitHambler (sp?)). Second wash mitt for wheels is a good idea too, although you can wait until your first one gets knackered and demote it, thats what I did :)

I notice there is no polish at all. All the finishing products won't be as good without a polished surface.

I agree with Stew, except the Megs clay kit is fine as it does include the lubricant as well. If you go the other routes, make sure you get a lubricant.

SRP is ok, but full of silicone. Poorboys SSR grades or even the Poorboys Show Glazes (different ones for different shades) would be my recommendation.

Two buckets AND a grit guard. ;):)

I agree with Stew, except the Megs clay kit is fine as it does include the lubricant as well. If you go the other routes, make sure you get a lubricant.

SRP is ok, but full of silicone. Poorboys SSR grades or even the Poorboys Show Glazes (different ones for different shades) would be my recommendation.

Nothing wrong with it, just found it expensive for what it is. Bilt Hamber can be used with water, is half the price and you get twice the amount. Thats my reasoning! :)

Nothing wrong with it, just found it expensive for what it is. Bilt Hamber can be used with water, is half the price and you get twice the amount. Thats my reasoning! :)

In which case, that could be a better option :)

Many thanks again for the advice. I haven't clayed before so I've taken advice and I'll leave that until after I've chatted to a few more experienced Zeders on the North Wales meet.

OK. Here's my revised list:

Poorboys Natural Look Dressing £8.65

Huge 38" x 28" Microfibre Drying Towel £8.65

Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt £7.78

Dodo Juice - Rainforest Rub £25.65

Sonus Der Wunder Polishing Towel, Pkg/2 £6.04

Poorboys Wheel Sealant £11.26

1-inch round Wheel and Detail brush £2.57

Ultra Plush Microfibre Cloths Pkg/3 16" x 16" £9.52

Chemical Guys - Bodywash and Wax £5.74

Poorboys SSR 2.5 Super Swirl Remover £11.26

Valet Pro - Bilberry Wheel Cleaner (1 litre) £7.78

Meguiars Foaming Sprayer £3.43

Total (inc. VAT but plus delivery) = £124.95

You can't go that wrong. Just put aside a decent amount of time to do the first round and take it easy. Preparation and following the application guides may appear to take time but then the results and time saved for future washes is more than worth it. ;)

Best of luck. It's easy enough really.

If you want help then I'm in the office all weekend! I'll be available from 6.30am roughly to 7pm.... so can answer any questions - if I know the answer!

This babble might help......

The science goes.....

With clay, you 'pull' the bits of dirt etc. out of the paint that get stuck in the lacquer and top coat. This leaves little gaps that effectively need filling. The effect of the clay is to effectively make sure that anything stuck on the paint is removed.

Polish should then help fill these holes and flatten the surface a bit. Depending how bad any damage is, then this can be done to a certain degree by hand. To repair damage etc. machine polishers come in as they can move quicker and you can apply more pressure. This is where paint depth guages come in, and it all goes painfully expensive!!

Basically, use a polish after the clay, to bring back the luster of the paint.

After claying and polishing, you have effectively used two quite abrasive substances on the paint. Any 'protection' will have been removed or at least reduced. A sealant then puts a hard wearing protective coat on, that makes future washing and maintenance a whole load easier IMO too.

These three steps need only doing every 3-6 months really. Certainly clay more like 6 months really. Hand polish every 3 months if you wanted. A good sealant should last a winter or 6 months.

Sealants don't always have the best finish. So adding the wax puts the wet look or deep shine or colourful finish on. Some will say there is no difference, some say there is a huge difference between products. Just try different ones and see what you think.

Glaze is almost a temporary thing and the sort of thing that is added for shows to get a real shine and wet look. It doesn't last long at all but can really add to the wax. That said, there are some that you use after polishing, before sealing like Poorboys.

Product ideas -

Clay - Megs Quik clay (make sure you use plenty of the lubricant) Sonus

Polish - AG SRP, Menzerna, Megs #81 (and a whole different range for machine polishers!) Poorboys SSR X

Sealant - AG EGP, CG Jetseal 109

Wax - P21S, Dodo juice, Colinite.

Glaze - Megs or Chemical Guys do some good stuff. (this may come before Sealant if using some products eg. Poorboys White Diamond Show Glaze)

There is also Zaino and Zymol products that I have seen used, but not used myself. Some people swear by it, some struggle to see the difference for the price.

One final point, think about what car wash you use and how much in a bucket of water. The wash I use needs one cap full to a 5l bucket. Put 3 cap fulls in, it is strong enough to strip the wax. It is that subtle!!

Sorry for gabbling, hope this helps.