How to - Fix the Bose left speaker cut out issue

HampshireRob

great right up!!!! :thumbs:

dont think i can be bothered with all that though so ill just keep hittin it on the left side where the knee pad is and it comes straight back on :lol:

thats my quick fix anyway ;)

not had chance to stip the bose down yet!

but i did this todday & worked a treat :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! Thank you soo much for the write up Rob, I just have a small issue after doing it! and I'm not entirely sure why!!!

I followed your guide and took everything apart, reseated the cable but on a new part of the contact. Put it all back in tested it last night and thought whaheyy its working! Now this morning I've been out in my car it will play cd's for the first 10 maybe 20 seconds and then just start to crackle and stop, then nothing through the speakers at all. Once again the tuner works perfectly! For those initial few seconds everything is great audio is coming from everywhere! If I turn it off and back on/change disc, it then starts working for the same amount of time.

The only problems I encountered following the guide were that when I was trying to put the springs back on, one of them got slightly stretched so I'm not sure if this is effecting it with a grounding issue as its not properly suspended?? Also I didn't resolder the posts on the daughter cd board, just twisted the lock back over.

Thanks for any help, otherwise I'm just gonna have to spend out on a fascia and lead to put in my old alpine! But I would like to get this working!!

Thanks James

If Carlsberg did write ups eh!

Thats excellent work, I knew it would be something simple - mine goes on and off depending how hard you brake or accelerate.

I'm gonna have a go at this when I get a soldering iron.

Top job mate!!!!!

Thank you.

jhh, you need to be extra careful putting the anti-shock rubber dampers and springs back. As far as I know the unit has little/no software buffering (which is how many new units solve the problem now - cheaper as there are fewer mechanical parts involved). Any shocks or bad harmonics (perpetuating and overlaying vibrations) will be made much worse it it's not set-up right.

I'm guessing here obviously. Good luck.

P.S. I'd still consider replacing the head unit at least at some point - it's really not that great.

• 3 weeks later...
If I was a betting man I’d say that the “Bose†(Clarion) and non-Bose (probably Clarion too) share the same transport.

Correct! I don't know why this is called a "Bose issue" as the Clarion head units are at fault. I just completed the job on my unbranded non-GT head unit and it was 99.9% identical inside... Only a few differences on the rear PCB. I suspect the Bose version just disables/bypasses the internal amp.

Did a couple of things differently to your guide:

1. I found that you don't really need to remove the springs and shocks. Just undo 3 screws at the PCB end of the CD unit, lever the cover away and there's enough room to pull/insert the ribbon cable.

2. I trimmed 1mm off the end of the ribbon cable so it could be fully inserted and make contact in a different position. I also added some tape on the back to make it thicker, and more tape to hold it in position.

Fingers crossed you've helped fix another one :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

Awsome Write Up!!!!!

Completed this myself today, took the best part of the afternoon but all is workng now!!! :yahoo:

I didnt have a small enough screw driver for the shock absorbers to be removed so i did what 'lrh' mentioned above. This seemed alot easier to do than taking the springs and shock absorbers off! I also trimmed the ribbon cable to it grips and connects at a different point.

Also added the tape to thicken it up for a good connection!!

Thanks guys!!!!

:clap:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

ill just keep hittin it on the left side where the knee pad is and it comes straight back on :lol:

thats my quick fix anyway ;)

Oh my god, just tried that and it totally works!!

Now what do I hit to get the bass working again??

Mine works now too I think but I still don't have the sub, heard/felt it for about 3 seconds the other day & that's it.

Since my mate did this fix my cd now skips every bloody second your driving, soon as you stop it works. Helpful that eh :/

Any ideas as to what he's done & what will fix it?

• 3 weeks later...

I had this issue with my stereo for the past year but in the last month it seemed to be getting worse and worse till i couldn't deal with it anymore. I found this thread a while ago but kept putting off the job as it seemed pretty envolved but was so impressed with the pics and instruction, it made the job so easy and i completed it in 2.5 hours. Been driving around for the past few days and totally fixed, very happy and can't believe i had been putting it off for so long.

Would definately recommend doing this fix if your left channel keeps cutting in and out.

Thanks to the help, really great write up and pics

• 3 months later...

Had this occur on mine the other week. Followed the guide and job done it's sorted it so thanks.

Just work on the headunit on a nice big table and lay everything our neatly as you remove it. I just sat the screws at the side of each part I removed so I knew where they went back.

:)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...