Exhausts UK - Cobra collector and custom rear system

andyvvc

Ended up costing me 400 quid (including fitting) from the Y pipe back. (Centre pipe, rear pipe into collector and rear pipes). All stainless T304 grade steel custom fitted by the lads in Sheffield.

I'll get a few videos up of it soon too.

I'm not totally sure about the rear pipes. 2x 4" slash cut. I may get them changed for some slightly wider rear pipes. Not sure on the look of it yet...but the sound is perfect :)

Near Heanor mate (J26 of M1). Let me know if you are over this way anytime soon and i'll pop out and meet you at Ikea car park or somewhere easy for you to find near to me. It's MUCH louder than OEM, about the same volume as the K1 WITH the bungs in it (ie sensible).

The rear collector means that below 2.5k it isnt that bad at all - civilized for my neighbours on a cold start. Above 2.5k the V6 roar is very nice :)

tailpipes do not sure about the back box though!

Its got a backbox unlike my old K1 :) Its about half the size of the OEM one (which IMHO was waaaay to big and bulky looking). The pics are a bit dark - it looks better in the flesh :)

cimg5383a.jpg

There it is - from a rear position in a car or standing, the collector looks like a pipe very much like the K1. From the floor you can see it is a small collector that links the tail pipes. Keeps a more aggresive look to the rear (a bit like the K1) rather than having a mad, large, rear collector that looks OEM.

so you wunt like mine then :lol:

IMG_0749.jpg

could meet you just off junction 28 if you want mate near the derbyshire hotel?!! there's a few blocks of flats there with a car park that my dad owns so no problem meetin there

unless we could get a few other together from round here and have a meet somewhere?! :thumbs:

I have this exhaust and fought it was a load of s****, i found that it drones all the time, ended up just using the back box as the centre pipe made it really noisy. And not so sure about the stainless steel, its not just stained its actually rusting

18012009445.jpg

18012009446.jpg

18012009447.jpg

18012009448.jpg

stainless steel

It's still metal. The road is a fairly harsh environment.

I'm pretty sure exhausts corrode from the inside....... or did I dream it?

I reckon that'd polish out with a bit of work.

This is why i dont like custom systems, too many welds (from the pics darren posted), piping with different grades of stainless and a complete reliance on the person doing the job to know what they are doing!

Most off the shelf exhausts are machine made, so at least you are guarenteeing the quality of the welding and pipework.

Hasn't rusted yet :) Seems ok at the moment - no worse than the K1 or any other exhaust i have had for getting dirty so far (roads still have a lot of salt on them).

If it looks terrible after a few months and i can't clean it off (ie rust not dirt), i'll be speaking to the lads in Sheffield.

Mind you, I had a decent Apexi exhaust on my old 200 which looked awful when i sold the car - it needed a wirebrush on all the under car pipe work to get rid of surface rust before the new owner then polished it all up again. That system cost me a LOT and didnt look 'new' a year later. I bet if i lived in sunny California it would still be as-new :teeth:

• 1 month later...

Well, 2 months in (nearly) and i have cleaned it with hot water twice, and used some chrome polish once. It still looks great. The rear centre-pipe is beginning to show some surface rust, but thats mainly because i cant be ar$ed to jack the car up to get to it :teeth: