Nautical ICE install

tmJak

I have a basic headunit on my boat, and one speaker, on the ?deck? (I think I can call it that).

This is my current headunit, nothing special. I have a thread in the wanted for a new(er) one.

19032009181.jpg

This is my single lone speaker.

19032009182.jpg

I want to add 2 speakers to the system, and have them in the cabin. Just need a bit of advice on what I need to buy, or where to look to get guides to basic ICE installs. Don't want anything too loud, and don't need a subwoofer or anything chav, it's only a little river cruiser with a 9.9hp engine and 2 car batteries :)

Cheers in advance/

All headunits will most likely have 4 sets of connections for front and reaer speakers. So lets say your one speaker is plugged into front right, you can put your new speakers in rear left and rear right. Then you can also fade between front and rear to swap sound between the deck and the cabin :thumbs:

I can't see the pictures for some reason - what model headunit is it?

If you want stuff that will actually sound ok, take a look here..... http://marine.jlaudio.com/

:)

Not sure on the model, can't tell it in the pictures and I don't have it handy. I'm after a new headunit anyway as it only plays cassettes, whatever they are :headhurt: You have one you want to sell Rob?

Had a look on that site, the speakers look sweet! Sure they can't be cheap tho so will maybe save up :teeth:

I can't see the pictures for some reason - what model headunit is it?

If you want stuff that will actually sound ok, take a look here..... http://marine.jlaudio.com/

:)

Not sure on the model, can't tell it in the pictures and I don't have it handy. I'm after a new headunit anyway as it only plays cassettes, whatever they are :headhurt: You have one you want to sell Rob?

Had a look on that site, the speakers look sweet! Sure they can't be cheap tho so will maybe save up :teeth:

Unfortunately nothing to sell at the moment mate. You can get reasonable, cheap headunits for £100 now. Happy to offer advice when you come to that.

The speakers are good, and not actually as expensive as they look. Do a search and see what you find ;)

http://www.force4.co.uk/1955/Clarion--W ... gn=pid1955

Something like this would be fine mate. If they are being screwed into fibreglass (I am guessing as most boat internals are made of that?) then I would do three things to get the best out of them:-

1. Make sure there is some sort of gasket between the back of the speaker and the ring it is mounted in - they may be provided with something in the box, but it will stop annoying rattles and give the speaker a firm base to work on.

2. Consider using nuts and bolts to mount them, whatever is needed to get a tight fit.

3. Make sure that the area behind them is as sealed as possible. Buy a bit of Dynamat to seal up any hole.

All that should cost no more than £15 and take an extra 20 minutes of time to sort out, and you'll get the best out of the speaker. :)

http://www.force4.co.uk/1955/Clarion--Waterproof-Speakers-80W---Pair.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid1955

Something like this would be fine mate. If they are being screwed into fibreglass (I am guessing as most boat internals are made of that?) then I would do three things to get the best out of them:-

1. Make sure there is some sort of gasket between the back of the speaker and the ring it is mounted in - they may be provided with something in the box, but it will stop annoying rattles and give the speaker a firm base to work on.

2. Consider using nuts and bolts to mount them, whatever is needed to get a tight fit.

3. Make sure that the area behind them is as sealed as possible. Buy a bit of Dynamat to seal up any hole.

All that should cost no more than £15 and take an extra 20 minutes of time to sort out, and you'll get the best out of the speaker. :)

It'll be mounted into wood, as I've only got one layer of material between the inside of the boat and the water. Gonna have to make a unit to put it in. Will have a go next month and update with pics. Thanks for the advice Rob :thumbs: