HELP-Autobox gear shift stuck!!

Zazur

HELP :scare:

Driving my car today and went to park the car and while parking I moved the box from R to D and the gear shift went straight into the manual gate and it's STUCK!

The gear shift is stuck in the manual side of the auto box BUT it is in neutral, the square display says nothing and if I try and move the gear shift to the D position if I hold it as far as it will go towards the D then the N in the display lights but as soon as I let go of the shift the display goes blank.

The gearbox is in neutral ( the car rolls no problem).

I cannot move the gearshift from the manual side of the box to the D side no matter what I try, the button, the shift lock push button.

So now the car is parked up with the keys stuck in the ignition.

Anyone got any ideas please??

HELP :scare:

Driving my car today and went to park the car and while parking I moved the box from R to D and the gear shift went straight into the manual gate and it's STUCK!

The gear shift is stuck in the manual side of the auto box BUT it is in neutral, the square display says nothing and if I try and move the gear shift to the D position if I hold it as far as it will go towards the D then the N in the display lights but as soon as I let go of the shift the display goes blank.

The gearbox is in neutral ( the car rolls no problem).

I cannot move the gearshift from the manual side of the box to the D side no matter what I try, the button, the shift lock push button.

So now the car is parked up with the keys stuck in the ignition.

Anyone got any ideas please??

Have you tried driving it in manual mode?

Hi Jim

Nothing in the square display and the car is in neutral so it can't be driven

What I mean is, have you tried starting it up and moving the shift forward to engage a gear even though there is no light in the display? Apologies if I am stating the obvious and you have already tried all this.

Just googled it... it doesnt sound good... new transmission possibly

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/udea-nissan-350z-2004-automatic-sudden

:shutup:

Hi marzman,

Thanks, as I wrote the autobox shift is stuck in the manual gate position and i cant get it to move across to the D position.

Correct me if I am wrong but the link you posted was for the shift being stuck in the park position, and you can move it out of this position with the shift lock button, mine is stuck in the manual side of the box but with no gears engaged.

Can someone tell me if when you move the shifter across from A to manual mode as it crosses the gate is their any movement felt from the shifter ie-you feel it slightly raise up or down etc????

Thanks

Hi Jim

Nothing in the square display and the car is in neutral so it can't be driven

What I mean is, have you tried starting it up and moving the shift forward to engage a gear even though there is no light in the display? Apologies if I am stating the obvious and you have already tried all this.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the imput.

If i push the stick towards the D as far as I can then the display lights the N, but as soon as I let the stick go, the screen goes blank and if I push the stick forward or back in the manual mode I can hear the soleniods clicking but no gears engaged.

Any thoughts???

Just googled it... it doesnt sound good... new transmission possibly

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/udea-nissan-350z-2004-automatic-sudden

:shutup:

Hi marzman,

Thanks, as I wrote the autobox shift is stuck in the manual gate position and i cant get it to move across to the D position.

Correct me if I am wrong but the link you posted was for the shift being stuck in the park position, and you can move it out of this position with the shift lock button, mine is stuck in the manual side of the box but with no gears engaged.

Can someone tell me if when you move the shifter across from A to manual mode as it crosses the gate is their any movement felt from the shifter ie-you feel it slightly raise up or down etc????

Thanks

Just checked mine - there is an initial slight resistance and then it just pops straight across - no up or down movement.

Just checked mine - there is an initial slight resistance and then it just pops straight across - no up or down movement.

Thanks Jim,

Sounds like I have something come adrift, broken or lose in the shifter as it went straight into the manual mode and seemed to skip the D mode if I remember when it happened.

I removed the surrond but could not remove the gear nob or the P,R,N,D plastic cover so could not see into the mechanism but I could see the metal bar which runs through the shifter moving up and down ok when the side button is pushed, not sure if it should be attached to something to push,pull,lift or lower anything as it is quite a long bar to be doing nothing.

Does anyone know if that bar is attached to anything???

Downloaded the US service manual but still could not find what the problem was so today arranged a truck to pick the Z up and take it to a garage in Italy, hopefully to be repaired.

Good look bud - hopefully wont be to expensive for you. :wacko:

Please keep us posted on it...

Car was delivered back to me today :) all fixed.

A bit of plastic in the shifter mechanism had come adrift and one of the sensors was also playing up when they put it on the computer, deceided not to give it to a Nissan garage as not many Z's over here and I always had problems whenever my Lexus was serviced so it went to a small garage and it took them 3 hours to fix :clap: .

So life is good again :drive1