throttle body question

srobrien

Hey, I have just received my shiney plenum curtousy of sunset350z it looks braw!

I have taken the TB off to give it a much needed clean whilst im at it (what a mess of black sh*te in there, i couldn't believe it).

Anyway does anyone know off hand if when the throttle is closed (ie engine off) if the gate in the TB is fully closed or is it ajar slightly?

thanks

Ross :D

Hey, I have just received my shiney plenum curtousy of sunset350z it looks braw!

I have taken the TB off to give it a much needed clean whilst im at it (what a mess of black sh*te in there, i couldn't believe it).

Anyway does anyone know off hand if when the throttle is closed (ie engine off) if the gate in the TB is fully closed or is it ajar slightly?

thanks

Slightly ajar as that is the issue with fly by.

If you wish to have 100% open throttle then you have to go cable.

Alex.

The first time i took mine off i did move the butterfly to clean it :blush: but when i refitted it, i had no problems at all. Everything worked fine :p Must off been lucky i guess, certainly didn't move it this time, thats a fact.

Well I hear mixed views. I've been attempting to clean mine with some TB cleaning spray without moving anything as I hear you can knacker them. However in the States they just say its ok to move it but you might have to perform a couple of resets of TB closed position learning and idle air learning. But they're quite easy. Tempted to whip mine off as its filthy and I'm convinced it causes the car to stall on turn over (you know when it blips on start, mine then stalls) and since giving it a spray yesterday its much better as it starts, then drops, just enough to not stall, but not far off.

You guys replacing the gasket after you removed the TB? It says in the service manual that you're meant to.

The first time i took mine off i did move the butterfly to clean it :blush: but when i refitted it, i had no problems at all. Everything worked fine :p Must off been lucky i guess, certainly didn't move it this time, thats a fact.

Well I hear mixed views. I've been attempting to clean mine with some TB cleaning spray without moving anything as I hear you can knacker them. However in the States they just say its ok to move it but you might have to perform a couple of resets of TB closed position learning and idle air learning. But they're quite easy. Tempted to whip mine off as its filthy and I'm convinced it causes the car to stall on turn over (you know when it blips on start, mine then stalls) and since giving it a spray yesterday its much better as it starts, then drops, just enough to not stall, but not far off.

You guys replacing the gasket after you removed the TB? It says in the service manual that you're meant to.

The gasket looks mint TBH cant see much need too. I got some tool cleaner from halfords and gave the TB a good few sprays and agitated it with a clean paintbrush. Its looks like a new pin now. I've given it a paint so im waiting for it to dry before i refit it.

I will let you know if i've knackered it tomorrow :teeth:

R

Tried to get my TB off last night, but the bolts were set fast! I managed to free one top one, but couldnt budge the bottom ones. In the end I think I managed to flush enough bursts of TB cleaner through from the intake side to clear the crap that was giving me problems. Car starts sweet as a nut now, no more stalling on turn over :yahoo:

The gasket looks mint TBH cant see much need too. I got some tool cleaner from halfords and gave the TB a good few sprays and agitated it with a clean paintbrush. Its looks like a new pin now. I've given it a paint so im waiting for it to dry before i refit it.

I will let you know if i've knackered it tomorrow :teeth:

R

Can you post some pics up if it works? Need to see if it's worth doing :thumbs:

Halfrauds sell Wynns TB Cleaner. Its just a spray on job. All I did was to remove the intake tube (only need to remove the TB end, theres flex in the hose), put a rag under the TB to catch run off and spray bursts of it around the TB. Wipe away any excess and start the engine. Repeated it a few times and runs sweet now. I puposefully didnt want to touch the TB butterfly plate as I heard this can send the TB out of sync and cause problems. Seems it doesnt cause problems moving it, but until more people do it, I will stick to my slow and steady method.

Has anyone thought of fitting a oil catch can to stop it gunking up? Is that the idea of a catch can?

Thats only half the job though :lol: take it off and clean the other side too :thumbs:

Bolds are seized on, and given I snapped one yesterday I dont want to push my luck! The TB is partially open anyway at resting so some of the cleaner will have gotten through. So its solved my problem and everything is hunky dorey. Dont want to upset it :surrender:

thanks

Slightly ajar as that is the issue with fly by.

If you wish to have 100% open throttle then you have to go cable.

Alex.

Could you not 'move' the throttle body to allow this or would it totally wreck it? Also - how hard is it to install a cable? Would it stop the ECU throttle adjustment for mods?

I got my TB back on and OH MY GOD what a difference, it feels so much smoother now and has stopped ruff idling. Its now idling at around 900-1000 rpm rather than 600-700 and if feels a lot more responsive.

Definatly worth doing if you have a spare hour.

R B)