Polishing Aluminium

rtbiscuit

Right i have a second hand Typhoon filter, which is very nice, but it just needs some TLC before i fit it.

i am already going to hammerite the air box to seal up the rust and make it look new.

but its the air intake pipe i need help with.

originally i was going to spray it, but after much deliberation i have decided to keep it as it is. but to make it look new i will need to emove a few blemishes and scrtches that have appeared over time.

does anyone know any good methods of polishing out marks on aluminium and making it look like new.

i was just going to use brasso on it, would that be ok?

Many options you can try it depends how brave you are.

Autosol will polish up the aluminum very well. Top off with some Meguiars NXt polish.

Or for any deep scratches rub down with some very fine wet and dry 2000, 3000, 4000 and buff off with an orbital polisher and a fine pad with some autosol.

Or you can use a series of buffing wheels on a drill with different polishing compounds. You can pic these up on ebay for about £20.

Many options you can try it depends how brave you are.

Autosol will polish up the aluminum very well. Top off with some Meguiars NXt polish.

Or for any deep scratches rub down with some very fine wet and dry 2000, 3000, 4000 and buff off with an orbital polisher and a fine pad with some autosol.

Or you can use a series of buffing wheels on a drill with different polishing compounds. You can pic these up on ebay for about £20.

What he said :thumbs:

I'd go for Autosol. I tried Adrians NXT polish last weekend and it worked as well as Autosol but apparently it has some anticorrosion stuff in it, so is good to top it off with.

I use megs or autosol on mine and it comes up fine...

Whilst your at halfords get a sonic scrubber... its like a big sonic toothbrush... the polishing head is great for the engine bay and the big scrubbing head is great for wheels!!

I use megs or autosol on mine and it comes up fine...

Whilst your at halfords get a sonic scrubber... its like a big sonic toothbrush... the polishing head is great for the engine bay and the big scrubbing head is great for wheels!!

Never heard of this before, will check it out next time im there !, after some new tools to clean the engine bay :thumbs:

the autosol was really good at polishing up the main body, have removed all the decals, but there were some really deep scratches that just wouldn't come out.

i'm guessing the only way would be to go and wet and dry it and then re polish, but i can't be arsed, so its going in as is. will post up pics later when its fitted