TC kicking in early

adammitch69

Afternoon,

Had a bit of a moment joining the A1 from the M62 at the weekend when the TC kicked in for no obvious reason. I was doing 70 round the banked 2 lane filter that leads you off the M62 under the A1 then joins you to it.

I thought I had a blow out as the back juddered like hell so obivously (any probably not wisely) came off the gas and applied the brake which seemed to make things worse. Whole episode only lasted a couple of seconds but scares the sh1t out of you!! pulled onto the hard shoulder expecting to find a flat tyre but everything was fine, the road was dry and didnt appear to have anything spilled on it.

Have to put it down to 'one of those things'.

Anyone else had the TC come on randomly???

Adam

Its not nice but worse than the alternative.

Usual causes include worn or unevenly worn tyre, mismatched tyres or generally rubbish tyres.

I know that bit of road very well and the bend can be a long one. There is often oil etc on the road there.

If it was oil, you got off bloody lightly!

As Mart says, usual causes are worn or incorrect tyres. Were you giving it progressively more beans as you went around the corner? If you stab the pedal, I have found sometimes it puts enough power through the wheels to kick the TC in momentarily and then it plays silly buggers for a second or so. I also find that unless you give it constant throttle around large bends the Zed can be a little unsettling. Weirdly, it seems to like more throttle to settle it into a corner than just maintanance throttle :)

just got 2 new Falken's fitted last week (rears) - so it better not be a tyre problem ha ha.

Will check pressures all round tonight.

How many miles have you done on them? Can take upto 100 miles to wear off the mold release agent, and thats damn slippy! That could be the culprit tbh :thumbs:

just got 2 new Falken's fitted last week (rears) - so it better not be a tyre problem ha ha.

Will check pressures all round tonight.

This may be your problem, an inbalance between front end and rear end grip levels ;) Think some members have suffered in the past because of this. :)

But you do need approx 1000 miles on your tyres before they are properly scrubbed in like Chris said. Would say more than 100 miles Chris ;)

have done a trip to london and back on them and a week at work so about 650miles.

I've still got the original Bridgestones on the front which are part worn (half tred left) and new Flakens on the rear, not the best combination but cant afford to replace them til I they are worn just so I can have same brand all round.

the fronts sound like your problem.

i had bridgestones on the front and toyo proxies tr-1's on the rear,got the same sort problem you had, changed fronts to toyo's and haven't had a problem since :)

I had this happen to me last year going round a bend off the M6 onto the M56 I was doing 70mph max as it was quiet a sharp bend and the ESP light flashed no drama from the rear just saw the light flash up, the rears had 3mm which was a bit low, so I put it down to that.

But funnily enough, today I booted the car around a quiet bend in second gear and the back end slid out and no ESP kicked in - I'm running Falken 452's and they have loads of tread all round (7mm) , I was kinda predicting this so it was ok and quiet cool....but sometimes the ESP kicks in when I think there is sufficient traction.

From the 18 months of owing the Zed I honestly think the ESP is very erractic on the whole.