Plenum spacer fitting

GreenSheener

HI everyone,

just a quick question really

I'm hoping to get a 5/16 plenum spacer for my birthday, but am a bit nervous to fit it, so was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that would fit it for me within a reasonable distance (I live 5mins from j28 of the m1).

also, just had my new exhaust fitted, apexi ws2

im in love, nice and quiet on tick over, but give it some beans and it gives you the good stuff :D

cheers

David

thanks for the offer, ive since shown the old man the video of fitting the spacer, to which he replied "how hard can it be".....

so..

now WE are going to fit it

ill keep yer posted

David

no probs :)

thanks for the offer, ive since shown the old man the video of fitting the spacer, to which he replied "how hard can it be".....

so..

now WE are going to fit it

ill keep yer posted

David

Its fairly easy, just be careful with the bolts when you tighten them up. They need next to no force when tightening. We've had a few members strip the threads before doing them too tight :headhurt:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, finally got round to fitting the plenum spcaer today.

took just under a couple of hours, didnt want to rush

the hardest bit was finding a torque wrench that went as low as 40inch-lbs

on the first test run i didnt notice too much of a difference, but after doing an ECU reset, it was very noticeable, lots more pull in the mid range, and im sure it altered the exhaust note slightly, very very happy,

just need to keep an eye on the bolts for a week or so, make sure nothing is working loose.

one quick question to anyone whos already fitted this mod, regarding the coolant control valve,

its says not to close it when the environmental temp. is below 12 degrees celcius, what would happen if it was closed below this temp?

has anyone ran the car with the valve closed below this temp.?

the only thing i could think of is that if the plenum got too cold, the throttle body would freeze (not good)

any ideas?

cheers guys

WRT the coolant valve, as Mark said, we dont tend to fit them over here. I think its meant to stop coolant going to the TB so when it gets too cold you can get freezing etc of it. I guess its 12C as the wind chill in the intake could cool the TB to near freezing? Just a guess. Over here though, it doesnt get that hot so no one bothers with them. I suggest you leave it open all the time, otherwise you have to check the temp before you go out.

WRT to the torque settings, Phil informed me that hand tight is fine if you dont have a torque wrench. 40in-lbs is not very tight at all. Apparently the heat cycling of the engine causes the threads to almost bind and hold themselves in place.

thanks for the replies, that sounds cool.

we fitted te valve for completeness, but i was just going to leave it open anyway thinking about it, rather than having to kep pissing about with it.

with regards to torque, we used the socket driver, gently does it method.

do em up finger tight in order

then go round and do about 3/4 power in order

then full hand tight,

my torque wrench goes down to 10ft/lb, which is still too much lol.

my dad said just imagine if someone just glimpsed and read the readings as ft/lb not inch/lb

ouch :wacko:

my dad said just imagine if someone just glimpsed and read the readings as ft/lb not inch/lb

ouch :wacko:

Easier done than you might imagine given that most torque wrenches dont go down that low and that being in an engine you might expect it should be tight :headhurt:

You sound like you did it just right though :thumbs:

yeah exactly, mine goes down to 10ft/lb, and like you say you usually hear ratings of least 20ft/lbs, i guess its because i usually only use the torque wrench for tightening wheel nuts etc.

im still driving round with the window down to hear th exhaust note, lol

now im gunning it with window down :teeth:

(all within specified speed restrictions obviously B) )

I got round to fitting mine today and i used the socket driver as well! No disasters to speak of, thank heavens :sweat:. I left the coolant valve off as it isn't needed imo.

Must thank srobrien for returning his old plenum to me :thumbs: which i duly took to my polishers workshop, and was kindly allowed the use of their sand blasting machine to bring the plenum back to an as new finish!! How long it will stay like that though is anyone's guess, but it does look good, and doesn't need any elbow grease :scare: May get it silver powder coated one day if i get chance. :D