Need urgent help - power steering problem need parts

NWZ

Hi All,

Been a crap day, started the car up this morning and there was a strange loud noise coming from the engine, it seemed related to the steering as when i moved the steering wheel the noise seemed to be linked to it.

When driving off it was a nightmare, it felt as if the wheel was fighting against me, especially when I steered left, it was fighting back!

So, firstly took it to Lookers in Chester who couldn't & WOULDN'T have a look at it today, the earliest they could see me is Wednesday next week, so I'll type a seperate thread on blacklisting this "new" dealership for starters.

Then I took the car to the old dealership (Hartwells) which is now a Fiat dealership and they still have the Nissan mechanics there. I asked politely if they could look at the problem, they did and they said there was a leak from one of the pipes from the oil cooler assembly that connects to the power steering. Replaced the clip where the leak is problem better but the pipe is frayed. I noticed the power steering coolant was low, they topped this up and they have temporarily fixed the problem. Great work and were so helpful.

Now here comes the problem, Hartwells logged a fault with warranty direct who I am covered with to ask for a replacement Oil Cooler Assembly that connects to the power steering and warranty direct declined the claim saying that this part is not covered under warranty. Cue, another thread..........

So my big problem is, Chester have quoted me £380 all in to replace the oil cooler assembly, Nissan Chorley have quoted me £478 for the parts only!!! And the pipe which is frayed is about £20.

Any experts on here that maybe have these parts (Alex - can you help?)

Or should I just buy the pipe and fit it myself? Is it easy?

Long thread sorry, it could have been longer....there will be 2 more to follow belive me....Lookers Chester and Warranty Direct....w*****s

Thanks Martin will call them now.

I've checked with Nissan and the parts I need are:-

1) House return power steering part no - 49725CE311

2) 2 x hose clamps part no - 49729AD001

Nissan prices for the above are:

1) House return power steering part no - 49725CE311 – £27.86 + VAT

2) 2 x hose clamps part no - 49729AD001 – £5.96 + VAT Each

Just gave my local dealer a quick call, so you can compare them against what you've been quoted locally... :thumbs:

Mine is a slow leak and I just keep topping the fluid level up. The noise is just the extra friction caused by not having enough fluid in. Should be able to keep driving around unless it's a fast leak if you keep checking the level is above minimum.

I have probably got these hoses mate and a cooler but the quickest and cheapest way to resolve your issues is to take the faulty hose off, nip into your local Pirtek and they will knock you up a hose with new ends while you wait, quality stuff at affordable prices.

Very easy to reassemble and self bleeding.

Cheers,

Alex.

Alex - sent pm but not sure you got it.

Can you give me prices for both please, and seperate prices for the hoses if you can. I'm in no major rush and I would imagine getting the current hose out means removing the bumper. If I can get it out easy there's a pirtek near me. But..if you can provide them then I might as well wait for them :thumbs:

Out of interest, if I did take the hose off would the fluid run out and when reattaching the hose is it just a case of simply refilling the reserve without any bleeding necessary?

Cheers...Mark.

Mark sorry read the warranty thread before this!

For anyone who has a small slow leak try the gasket and sealant section on www.frost.co.uk have a look at the products like oiltite or similar.

Hope you get it sorted mate if you phone westway oldham and they have the parts i could get them for you and take to wales if needed?

Cheers Stan -so many friendly helpful people on here!

Look like Alex has given me the answer, I think I'm going to try the following tomorrow:-

1) Remove front bumper.

2) Remove frayed hose.

3) Drain fluid.

3) Goto Pirtek (as recommended by Alex :thumbs: )

4) Hopefully get a replacement

5) Fit new hose

6) Top up power steering reserve

If it all goes to plan should sort it, I feel a lot more confident about it now.

And a big big thankyou to Alex for his help.

Fingers crossed might be the biggest saving I've made to date, a new cooler system is about £400 fitted, Nissan wanted £100 to supply & fit the hose. Hopefully a few quid and my elbow grease and I'm done. :headhurt:

I think I’ve fixed it! It's been a busy day, removed the bumper, removed the leaking hose, switched it around to see if the problem moved but the leak was coming from the actual cooler. So I was starting to think I needed to replace the lot, anyway I had an idea - weld the section of the cooler pipe that was weeping oil. So I took the unit to an engineering company and they welded the pipe, took about 1/2 hour and they were fantastic. Charged me £30 but it was well worth it. NB. The cooler unit is made of alluminum so only certain welders will do this work.

Got it back home put it on filled up the reserve and no more leaks I think!!! Took it for a short drive on my lane and it seems ok now.

Once question I do have is - I refilled with Castrol Dextron ATF iii (this was the one Nissan recommended) I’m now intermittently getting creaking when turning left to right, but it’s not always doing it – could it be that it’s the new oil settling in? Or have I created a new problem :scare:

Thanks to all for helping and showing concern! :thumbs:

Saved myself a few quid I think :D Well, as long as the creaking goes.

Nice one Mark glad you gotit sorted - I say a few hours and£30 is a hell of a lot cheaper than the stealers!!

See how you get on with it for a few days I recon the creaking will stop - its probably bedding in again ?

Where are the pictures!! :lol:

Pics to come, just too knackered to upload them off the camera.

Nissan quoted around £400 to replace the cooler - defo recommend getting it welded if anybody experiences the same problem.

Funny thing when I went to the welders, got talking to the owner who was a nice guy, got talking about websites and I might have created some work for myself :lol: I offered to build him a website he said yes please.

Just hope this creaking stops now and it will be the cheapest repair ever!

Defo fixed it :thumbs:

All fitted and back together took the car for a 2 hour drive and no leaks.

Rare for this to happen on the zed I think but still a massive saving on my side. The creaking noise has gone, I did read that when changing the diff oil / power steering oil you should leave the car overnight for it to settle in.

I am very happy - long live the zed!

I'll post a how to when I get more time.

Thanks to all for their advice & help :)