Sat Nav in America

Jammy007

Hi guys,

I'm off to America in April (Disney) and as this is my first trip to the states and also my first driving experience of an automatic and a LHD I'm going to have to be concentrating on the roads for the first couple of days before I get the hang of the car and their system.

I'm looking at getting a sat nav for the zed and was wondering if there was one that can be updated with the florida maps so I can take it with me rather than hire one over there.

I obviously would like to obtain these maps free from the internet rather than pay half the cost of the sat nav again to never use the florida maps again. I know we had trouble finding garmin maps for my work colleague so what does everyone recommend?

I know they can be hired over there but as I'm looking at buyig a sat nav anyways, its kind of pointless hiring one.

Any info / help would be appreciated

Cheers,

Jamie

I've got the Tom Tom Go 940. Used it in Europe Britian and America. Only thing is that its not infaluble, it might try to take you down a tight road that might not be suitable for trucks, caravans and campervans. Other than that though probably the best you can get on the market. Looking at £400 for it!

I've got the Tom Tom Go 940. Used it in Europe Britian and America. Only thing is that its not infaluble, it might try to take you down a tight road that might not be suitable for trucks, caravans and campervans. Other than that though probably the best you can get on the market. Looking at £400 for it!

You've got guts coming to America and driving. If I ever make it over to the UK I won't attempt driving. After 22 years of doing it one way, I don't think I could do the exact opposite. :blush:

I hope you like Florida. I have family in Orlando. Hopefully you see lots of sun :)

Thanks for the info Vasser.

You've got guts coming to America and driving. If I ever make it over to the UK I won't attempt driving. After 22 years of doing it one way, I don't think I could do the exact opposite.

I hope you like Florida. I have family in Orlando. Hopefully you see lots of sun

I was against driving over there but had a few people I know just come back from Orlando and they highly recommended a car, so i'm biting the bullet.

If I don't make it back in one piece I may get the parents to raffle my zed off on the website to raise a bit of money for themselves. Unless my dad decides to become a forum whore!!

• 4 weeks later...

I really need to know guys that if I buy a tom tom 520 can I then download maps from a torrent site and put these on an SD Card, will the 520 read them?

I don't know how the whole tomtom map upgrade thing works in general.

Please help