Keeping the K1 - bungs in the rear flanges gonna be ok?

andyvvc

All,

Went to ExhaustsUK in Sheff. Very good looking place and some useful info from their chaps. Cant do anything withthe centre baffle box (cant replace with a silencer because not enough room). Suggestion was that for 35 quid they can put some small bungs in at the rear flanges on the K1 where the rear can sections meet the main pipe.

This sound viable? I want to remove the bungs from the rear cans but doing so means that the K1 is faaaaar too loud for daily use :) Adding bungs in higher up ought to solve this i guess by quieting the exhaust just like the rear bungs do. I can then remove the rear bungs... :)

ExhaustUK also do their own £295 rear system which looks good - like OEM/Nismo but a smaller rear collector and larger rear pipes. I'd prefer to keep the K1 of course :)

Something wrong with the existing thread?

So basically they want to put some restrictors in where the flanges meet, correct? Sounds okay in principle, but then I'd ask why you wouldn't just get some smaller bore bungs for the end pipes made up, as you'd get even more noise restriction and still have the option of removing them to let the noise flow.

In all honesty I'm going to say at this point that the K1 is probably no longer suitable for your needs, and at £295 a replacement backbox that's louder than stock is not a bad way to spend your money provided the quality is there.

So you'd have 2 sets of bungs, some in the exhaust and a removable set?

Considering the K1 is for noise, seems a bit pointless making it quieter and quieter. I'd consider getting another exhaust mate, but if you're skint £35 doesn't sound too bad for a fix :thumbs:

Sadly, i dont think i can just 'swap' the rear sections over. The mid-pipe will need to be replaced too because the one i got with the K1 is specific to that rear section. I dont think it will swap to a single-pipe-into-a-rear-collector design. (I might be wrong here!)

Im in a pickle because i really like the raw look of the K1 - the lack of a rear back collector makes it look really aggressive, especially as my car now sits lower on eibach pro springs. Im really not keen on the look of the exhausts that still use collectors - hence me buying the K1 from ESR.

The K1's single killer downfall is that even at low throttle (2000rpm for example) it can sound insanely loud when you apply even a small amount of acceleration. I cant get away with that level of noise any longer sadly :( (Im amazed the local plod haven't pulled me yet tbh)

I run the exhaust with the rear bungs in and the only noticable power loss is top-end (5,500rpm+) when the non-bunged system seems a little freer revving. The noise reduction and changes to the sound of the system *with* the bungs are actually very good ! If i can get that level of sound deadening with bungs near the flanges i would be happy. I can then remove te awful looking rear bungs to complete the asthetic look to the rear of the system.

EDIT - Sorry about the second thread. I felt i had gone off-topic after deciding to keep the K1 :)

Sadly, i dont think i can just 'swap' the rear sections over. The mid-pipe will need to be replaced too because the one i got with the K1 is specific to that rear section. I dont think it will swap to a single-pipe-into-a-rear-collector design. (I might be wrong here!)

Pop the stock mid-pipe back on and you can. ;)

Am I right in saying the only issue you really have is an aesthetic one i.e. you don't like the look with the rear bungs in, but sound-wise that level is acceptable? For the sake of £35 you may as well try their option and if that still doesn't work then I think you'll have to give serious thought to an alternative exhaust :(

For £35 its worth a punt, so long as its reversable if you dont like it. I cant see why it wouldnt be though. Then just go from there :)

+1, or could allways go all out, save up, sell the K1 and get a custom exhaust made up,that way can have it exactly how you want it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - the flanges didnt do much...so the K1 is up for sale: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=290322#290322

I will be getting a full Y Pipe-back custom exhaust fitted, with a smaller rear-collector than OEM, and my choice of tail pipes (havent decided yet on exactly what). Cheers for the advice on this post - sadly the K1 cant be tamed without bungs, and as i dont really like the bungs, it has to go :( Shame really cos its a bloody brilliant exhaust, just a bit loud :)

Ok - the flanges didnt do much...so the K1 is up for sale: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=290322#290322

I will be getting a full Y Pipe-back custom exhaust fitted, with a smaller rear-collector than OEM, and my choice of tail pipes (havent decided yet on exactly what). Cheers for the advice on this post - sadly the K1 cant be tamed without bungs, and as i dont really like the bungs, it has to go :( Shame really cos its a bloody brilliant exhaust, just a bit loud :)

Where you getting your custom exhaust done bud ?

Had it done at ExhaustsUK in Sheffield. Very good bunch of lads. They had the car for 4+ hrs and tried various rear collectors to find the right level of noise and V6 growl that i was after :)

It sounds very nice now - much louder than OEM, on a par with the K1 with the bungs in. It also seems to get louder as it goes over 4k, which is sweet too (kinda sounds like it has some valves that open/close in the exhaust if that makes sense - even tho it doesnt)

Its all custom stainless, with a Cobra rear collector. Looks very nice and if i get bored of the 4" slash-cut rear pipes i can have new ones fitted without too much hassle lol

Main thing is that it sounds just how i wanted it to, and didnt cost the earth either! (But im still gonna miss the K1)