Anyone used AFR Tuning in Sussex

matth76

Hi has anyone used AFR Tuning in Crawley, Sussex? They are fairly local to me and offer mapping of the stock ecu http://www.afrtuning.com/engine-remapping.asp?Make=Nissan&Model=350z For some reason their site doesn't say the cost for this remap. I will send them a quick email however wanted to know if they were any good? I'd only want the experts let loose on my ecu, knowing all the potential problems you can get if just slightly tuned wrong.

Not many places in the UK can or do remapping of the Zed due to cost of software and there not being many of us about!

Piggybacks are more popular, and I would highly recommend Gary @ GTart in Lewis.

You dont commute round the redhill area do you?

There are a few of us in the area :thumbs:

I think most people who have sent emails asking about remaps have been knocked back. I'm guessing due to the reasons Mark stated above.

Indeedy. Most places who use "generic mapping" processes dont realise that the Zed ECU is a whole can of worms. As the others have said not many places can really tune them when interrogated. Shouldnt be too hard to find out if they are any good, a few ample questions should sniff out a rat. Things like expected gains, previous customers dyno prints, what they use to tune it etc. Most fail to answer these and then no one here uses them ;)

No not from around the Redhill area - I'm near Brighton. I've regularly seen an 04 reg azure blue travel the opposite way down the a27 dual carriageway. Not sure if they've seen me. Have you had your car remapped by GTart?

I had a reply from AFR who seemed friendly and realistic and basically repeated what is said on here that you would need a piggyback, or aftermarket ecu, no other way to remap. Not sure why they have that page on their website.

I got a good reply from Abbeymotorsport and will find out what GTart do in terms of remapping. Thanks. Abbey reckoned I'd get 310-320bhp with a remappable ecu and basic mods like headers, exhaust, high flow cats, air filter. All in all about £1500+vat (includes the Haltec ecu and their mapping) though so quite expensive but a good 35-45bhp extra on top of stock.

Gary @ GTart uses UnichipQ and is alot less than Abbey... 320bhp is a lot to ask for and is also dependant on what your car is giving now... the chance of you finding a car thats doing 280bhp stock on a pre 07 is pretty slim!

If you are going to do anything I would have the car on a dyno as stock somewhere your not going to have the work done, then go to where your having it done, they will base line it so check the numbers they give you against your initial test.

Just going to answer your questions about headers etc in your other post!

320whp????? from a stock car giving around 240whp??? no way! you cant get 80whp from ecu tuning alone.

realistic gains with full breathing mods and piggy back ecu tuned for a very close AFR range through out the revs would realease around 25-30whp...

in short you can take a pre07 car and get it close to the last of the 350z in terms of power. you will have better driveability due to better tuning of the AFR!

320whp????? from a stock car giving around 240whp??? no way! you cant get 80whp from ecu tuning alone.

realistic gains with full breathing mods and piggy back ecu tuned for a very close AFR range through out the revs would realease around 25-30whp...

in short you can take a pre07 car and get it close to the last of the 350z in terms of power. you will have better driveability due to better tuning of the AFR!

I dont think the 320HP is WHP, I think they mean at the fly. Still a big ask to get that much, but it certainly is possible, just needs more mods (cams etc). From a stock car, I think you'd be lucky to see ~300BHP (at the fly)

I dont think the 320HP is WHP, I think they mean at the fly. Still a big ask to get that much, but it certainly is possible, just needs more mods (cams etc). From a stock car, I think you'd be lucky to see ~300BHP (at the fly)

Seriously....can we all agree that flywheel figures are the ones to use for tuning purposes???? I personally wouldnt listen to anyone talking flywheel numbers unless they have their engine ripped out and run on an engine dyno. Its just useless IMO and adds to confusion and bad info when people want to increase their knowledge on the subject of tuning.

Correct me if im wrong here!

(if it is flywheel figures you want to use....any piggyback tuned properly on a stock car will give you about 30-35hp increase)

Seriously....can we all agree that flywheel figures are the ones to use for tuning purposes???? I personally wouldnt listen to anyone talking flywheel numbers unless they have their engine ripped out and run on an engine dyno. Its just useless IMO and adds to confusion and bad info when people want to increase their knowledge on the subject of tuning.

(if it is flywheel figures you want to use....any piggyback tuned properly on a stock car will give you about 30-35hp increase)

I agree, WHP is the only true measurement you can take easily. However, even then different dynos will give different values. Add to that the fact that manufacturers use fly figures, you can just say that WHP is the be all and end all. No where will quote Joe Pulbic wheel figures unless Joe Public knows what the stock wheel figure is. Given OEMs quote fly figures, then the tuners have to quote fly figures otherwise it looks like you are losing power!

What you can do, is use the same place every time and keep things as consistent as possible. Get a base figure (wheel or fly, doesnt matter as long as they use the same fudge factor every time) and go from there.

I agree, WHP is the only true measurement you can take easily. However, even then different dynos will give different values. Add to that the fact that manufacturers use fly figures, you can just say that WHP is the be all and end all. No where will quote Joe Pulbic wheel figures unless Joe Public knows what the stock wheel figure is. Given OEMs quote fly figures, then the tuners have to quote fly figures otherwise it looks like you are losing power!

What you can do, is use the same place every time and keep things as consistent as possible. Get a base figure (wheel or fly, doesnt matter as long as they use the same fudge factor every time) and go from there.

Simplezzzzzzzzzzz.... I agree......run a base line dyno...get your whp/fly figures....go and get tuning done....run another dyno run from the same place again...difference is your gain????

Just to carry this on... Dynos are very easy for tuners to "fix" so you could be given numbers of say 250, you then pay them a few ££ to fit parts, tune etc and suddenly you have the holy grail of 300 bhp.... When you could have 260bhp... Also dynos can differ with weather and I agree with chris on the different types of dynos giving different numbers.

If you use a rolling road day at a different tuners then go back to the tuner of choice for an initial tune you will at least be able to see if the numbers stack up..

Just had an email from them today and AFR in Crawley do rolling road sessions (3 runs all the power and torque readings, whp and bhp) for £45+vat. I think I may be paying them a visit soon to find out what my new 350 is putting out! Who else here has had their (mark 1) 276bhp 350z rolling roaded? What power at the wheels did you get? I've heard it is something like 230-240 whp but not sure, just so I know what to expect roughly.