4800rpm to 5300rpm - "chatter" noise

andyvvc

Hi all,

I've noticed recently (might be the cold weather, might be the new oil) that my car makes a faint "chattering" noise under WOT between 4800 to 5300rpm. 53 plate GT spec. Exhaust mod, intake panel, lowered, Plenum spacer. Im now running Castrol Edge 5w 30 oil.

At first i wasnt too concerned by this, because the car has always had a faint chatter around this area since i bought it.

There is no loss of power, no smoke, nothing sinister except the noise. I think its coming from the engine bay, but it could be dash rattle/zizz or even cables under the bonnet resonating for all i know :)

Anyone else get this when they are on WOT ? Seems to be more prevolent in 4th and 5th gears.

The only info i can find was from the US Z Tech forum, where several users report the same noise and symptoms.

Does the 350 have VVT ? Is it VVT rattle maybe as it kicks in? My old 200SX used to have some VVT rattle at lower revs when cold - that sounded like a tractor it was that bad lol

Thoughts appreciated

ta