Bizarre Airbag Light

Toon Chris

The other day i dropped a pay-and-display ticket down the back of my speed/rev pod. I normally have the steering wheel adjusted to the top position but I had to lower it to it's lowest to fish the ticket out. During this time I had the ignition key in but not quite on (just enough for the radio).

Put the steering wheel back and started the car and the airbag light came on! What's that all about then?? Just from adjusting the steering column down then up my airbag is disabled? I`ve done the airbag reset and everything is now fine again but it does seem a bit odd!

My mum's polo actually cut out and she couldn't restart the engine - all just from adjusting the steering wheel. It was an inherent fault with her polo's year and to do with kinking the wires or something. Could be that a wire was kinked slightly in your case. Joggling or re-adjusting the steering wheel helped in her case. It was only the AA man that told her he had seen it happen on many many other polo's in exactly the same way. The air bag light is a known issue (not sure if a technical bulletin exists for it - someone here can confirm) and if it comes back on the dealer should fix the problem - could be a fault air bag control module (which I believe is situated in the centre of the dash - again someone on here can confirm this).

Just to confirm the air bag light reset is start with car off, start car up and as soon as the air bag light flashes out the first time immediately turn the engine off before it has a chance to flash back on, then start the car back up and repeat three more times (so four times in total)? Is this how you did the reset?

Just to confirm the air bag light reset is start with car off, start car up and as soon as the air bag light flashes out the first time immediately turn the engine off before it has a chance to flash back on, then start the car back up and repeat three more times (so four times in total)? Is this how you did the reset?

Almost right on the reset procedure. You don't need to start the engine, just turn the key so the ignition is on (lights on the dash come on).

• 2 weeks later...

I havn't used my car the last couple of days because of the snow and thought I'd drive to work today since tommorow I probably wont be able to again depending on the weather.

Got in and Started it up and had the air bag light flashing - bizarre :scare:

I got to work and quickly searched on here and noticed this reset procedure and its cured it. Is it anything to worry about or mention when it goes in for its service or before? The cars an 05 and I have a couple of years warranty on it. Maybe it's just the cold weather thats affected it

Thanks in advance ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I picked my 350z up on saturday and the airbag light decided to start flashing that evening when someone got out the passenger side. Anyway I've reset it now using the above method and would be very interested to know if its a problem or just a fault?

The car was only serviced 1000 miles ago. :)

The most common problem I've read is when seats are moved causing movement in the airbag plugs that sit underneath the seat.

Nothing to be worried about, providing a reset cures the problem.

Might be worth while making sure the plugs are nice and secure under the seat.

Like wise with a steering wheel airbag plug, it may have been disturbed when the column has been moved. A Reset should sort :thumbs:

I had I similar problem and the airbag light came on whilst parking in Tesco, took it to Nissan and thay explained that moving the electric seat can dislodge the connectors and that is was quite a common problem? They actually fixed it for free and I havent seen it again, fingers crossed...