Headlight adjustment...

Adriank

Is there any way to do this. I find the car Extremely hard work to drive at night at motorway speeds, you have to be at 120% concentration at all times as i can only see a few meters ahead of the car!

Surely this cant be right, the light has a very distinct cutoff infront of the car.

Any help much appreciated on this one!

Course you can. You need a long (about a foot) posi drive screw driver. Down the inside of the light about 2/3 back from the front, you will see a smallish hole with a set of teeth at the botton. Slot the screwdriver down there and you should be able to turn them. I had to do something like 30+ turns to get mine high enough where it was right on the road, and never get flashed :)

Course you can. You need a long (about a foot) posi drive screw driver. Down the inside of the light about 2/3 back from the front, you will see a smallish hole with a set of teeth at the botton. Slot the screwdriver down there and you should be able to turn them. I had to do something like 30+ turns to get mine high enough where it was right on the road, and never get flashed :)

:thumbs:

Yep. This is very easy to do. There are two wheels with teeth on. One adjusts left-to-right, and one does up and down. The higher/easier to see wheel adjusts the left-to-right. You will need a torch to see the other wheel probably.

I managed to adjust mine with a flat blade screwdriver too. :thumbs:

Thanks guys, will give it a blast tmrw morning.

On the same note, is it normal that the drivers side light cutoff is flat with the car, like _________

but the passengers side light cutoff on the road is more slanty like \

From what I know, the lights are like that so you don't shine your light into oncoming drivers faces and blind them.

Just to check, can you still adjust the lights even though they have self-leveling units?

I know on the US ones I have now there is a wheel that you turn to adjust but didnt know there was one on the UK ones with self leveling...

Yes you can. There still needs to be adjustment so that you can set a reference level. That is what we are changing. The light will assume this is the right level for the ground you are on and if you put weight in the back end (load the boot) or remove it, it will then move the lights automatically to keep it at the reference level :thumbs:

The cutoff for both my lights on is like -----\____ but there is overlap between them, so normally the low cutoff of the passenger light is lost in the high cutoff of the drivers light. Park in front of a wall and stand in front of each light in turn, you'll see it :) As bullet magnet has pointed out, its so you dont dazzle oncoming drivers, but still light up road signs etc.

Q for those that have done this - does it make a big difference? And, do you get flashed from oncoming drivers :p yeah I know what your thinking...!

It did to mine. When it came back from the first MOT, the lights were pointing with the cut off about 3m from the car! Meant it didnt light up sod all! Now I have it so that the cutoff rests on other cars number plates so that its nice and high to point down the road, but also low enough it doesnt dazzle people. I never get flashed :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

top post... :thumbs:

my lights were very poor on dip.

went to friendly MOT station and used the units they use to check lights are adjusted correctly during MOT test.

whilst they were within limits, they were on the very lowest setting (of the accepted range) - wound them up to the upper level and wow what a difference at night :) I can actually see now why people rate the zenon units.