An idiots guide to air intakes and exhausts please!

neil2185

Hello,

Not had my Zed long and already got the bug to do work to it! not I dont know a lot about cars, this is the first I have ever wanted to change around!

I am thinking of getting a cold air induction kit, now am I right in thinking that the reason people change an air filter (other than looks or noise) is that it can suck in more air than a standard one which gives a slight performance increase, and then in turn you can go one stange further and get bigger and better pipes and exhausts etc generally making the volume of air going through the car more by getting bigger things? is that right, if not please correct me lol, id love to know the specifics!

Is this kit any good that I have found on the net and what if any difference am I likely to get, even if its just a nicer noise, does anyone have them!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-350Z-SKYLI ... 240%3A1318

Also once I have done that what would be the next step, what else is worth replacing that is better than the standard spec in the nissan? (with out spending a forture)

Many thanks

Neil

No power increase at all from them or exhausts, ecu canclels them out. So, its all about the sound.

The are a couple of favourites to choose from induction wise. Dont know off hand if ESR have any left but many of the traders on here sell them.

As for other mods you are asking the wrong person, I lost the plot ages ago :lol:

Cheers, sorry I am still trying to get my head around this, was I right about the air getting sucked in though, is that why you see chav kids with exhausts I could get my head in on a ford KA?

What is a average price for a standard induction kit

Am I right in thinking it replaces the existing air filter?

There is a fitting video in the guides section, its pretty easy but a little fiddly. Just sucks in cold air for the engine as you say. Think they are around £90.

You can also get a polished pipe to go with it, around £100 I think. There is also a small carbon fibre inlet to go in the front which many have.

AFAIK you are correct with the induction kit sucking in more air, thus improving power on most cars.

The 350z is a little different though as the ECU is quite restrictive with performance mods. Say you added an induction kit, any extra power will be taken away by the ECU re-restricting the air flow.

With Exhausts the larger the bore the less restriction of airflow again but the 350z needs back pressure so you will lose torque.

So as martin says, the only real differences you will find from changing the Exhaust and air filter etc are the sound and the look (bling factor) :teeth:

Hope this helps a little. (also hope im not talking out of my backside too much :lol:)

AFAIK you are correct with the induction kit sucking in more air, thus improving power on most cars.

The 350z is a little different though as the ECU is quite restrictive with performance mods. Say you added an induction kit, any extra power will be taken away by the ECU re-restricting the air flow.

With Exhausts the larger the bore the less restriction of airflow again but the 350z needs back pressure so you will lose torque.

So as martin says, the only real differences you will find from changing the Exhaust and air filter etc are the sound and the look (bling factor) :teeth:

Hope this helps a little. (also hope im not talking out of my backside too much :lol:)

Ok makes sense, so what about that link I posted on Ebay is that any good, price looks cheap

Just remember with cheap air filters and parts for that area...

If they break or break up then your engine will get the parts in it.....

:headhurt::wacko:

thats the thing, I dont know it looks ok to me but I dont really know - anyone got any other sites other than ebay to suggest or ideally if they know if that one is any good?

Oh, also I have a blitz induction kit which I do like but are a bit pricey.

In my opinion the best value for money kit is the JWT pop charger which I had on my last car. Think you can pick up the filter without pipe for under £100. Give a nice growl and hiss sound.

Nicest (and loudest) exhaust I have heard is the K1 which I think MrLizard is selling second hand for £200 with removable silencers.

How much are you selling the pipecross for?

And again I am still getting to grips with this, an induction kit repalces my air filter is that correct?? the guy above was saying about just buying the filter not the pipes? would that be using the exisiting pipes on the car then? in that link I have posted is that including pipes and filter

sorry for sounding a bit dense and asking so much

You can use the existing pipes, the only reason to change them would be to tart up your engine bay.

And as 3FIDDYZ said, I wouldnt install cheap air filters (or them fake supercharger fans) just incase they break up and get sucked inside your engine.

What the guys are saying is correct.

The replacement intake can take many forms, from a simple screw on cone filter (Pop charger) to more elaborate full intakes like AEM, pipercross, etc which have either replacement pipes too, or even an air box for the filter to go in. A pop charger replaces the standard air box with a cone filter and retains the stock intake pipe, which can also be replaced.

The reason the Zed dials out the mods is that the throttle is fly by wire (i.e the ECU controls it not you) so even if you give it full throttle, it will only open the throttle wide enough to let a preset amount of air through for the revs/load you are under. This is how it limits the power it can develop as it doesnt let the extra air flow through.

What the guys are saying is correct.

The replacement intake can take many forms, from a simple screw on cone filter (Pop charger) to more elaborate full intakes like AEM, pipercross, etc which have either replacement pipes too, or even an air box for the filter to go in. A pop charger replaces the standard air box with a cone filter and retains the stock intake pipe, which can also be replaced.

The reason the Zed dials out the mods is that the throttle is fly by wire (i.e the ECU controls it not you) so even if you give it full throttle, it will only open the throttle wide enough to let a preset amount of air through for the revs/load you are under. This is how it limits the power it can develop as it doesnt let the extra air flow through.

Great thanks that makes sense, so that one I posted is taht a full intake then as it has pipes too? Does it look any good or a bit rubbish?

I wouldnt touch cheapo filters. Its the one thing that keeps crap from entering your engine. Unless you get a decent one (say £60+ just for the filter from a reputable name - JWT, K&N etc), the stock one is more than adaquate and at least doesnt damage anything ;)

TBH I would spend a little extra and get it off a trader on here. At least that way you know its the real deal :)