Clio Sunroof

Jammy007

Guys,

Girlfriends sunroof on the clio has started leaking in. Its a 2003 and although I can find plenty of information on google about it, nothing really answers the question.

Its above the passenger seat in the headlining. Nothing major, yet, but its damp. Manual sunroof, just a tilt one.

Anyone had to deal with this before or know of any fixes?

Renault quote silly money and say you can't buy a seal seperate. You have to buy it with a sunroof........ My response was "she's already got one of those thanks"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for a dry weekend but thats my plan as soon as I get one AK350z. Do I apply the vaseline when the sunroofs open and then close it, or apply the vas around the seals when the sunroofs closed? (I assume the first but just checking)

I'm also gonna check the drains as suggested by a few people but like I said I can't in this weather and I'm not posh enough to have a garage :lol:

Touche! :boxing:

I had a look at dinnertime and on the passenger side front of the sunroof, in the groove (between edge of glass and edge of roof) it seems to be be gathering a pool of water.

I dried this out and then had a look in this corner and found that the rubber seal seems to have come away slightly from the corner of the roof/frame. I should have taken a photo really, will get one tonight hopefully.

So this looks likely to be the problem area. I personally think a good clean and dry tonight (lending a garage) and then some silicone sealant in that corner (only a 5-10mm gap around the radius) should do the trick. What do people this on this as a horses for course action. The sealant won't come into contact with the glass (so the sunroof can be used - I'll advise her not to) but it should do the trick shouldn't it?!

The girlfriend says there's no way on gods green earth she's paying £500+ to get the sunroof sorted (which has left it in my hands to resolve - as usual) :headhurt:

I've just made a few phone calls to various garages that I use / know.

Local Renault Garages reply was: "Some people actually think its the seal but we've had a few in now and its the actual frame thats warping and needs replaced" Cost of new frame (all in one jobby with the sunroof) is £500+Vat + 4 hours labour!!!

Local Garage who she uses alot: "Some people think its the seal but its actually the frame thats become slightly loose. If you remove the head lining what you'll find is the screws that hold the frame in place have possibly become 1/2 turn loose. Tighten these up and it should sort it". Their estimated labour time is still around 4 hours though as it includes removing the headlining and replacing.

My question is, how easy to remove a cars headlining?! I wouldn't even know where to start and as its not my car (and try not to go anywhere in it) I can't hardly picture where clips, screws etc are.

I've also been told that the clio with the tilt (non slide) sunroof doesn't have the drains that we've been talking about. This is only found on clio's with the tilt and slide sunroof.

I took the lining off to fix the ratling sunroof in my gf clio, it's quiet easy, you have to pull the rubber lining off the sunroof, remove the sunvisors with the scews (be careful not to damage the clips), and use a bit of brute force to pull the lining away. Remember, these things went in the first place so they must be designed to be removed as well ;)

Clio's, sunroofs, leaking, creaking! - pain in the backside - thus, the reason when my gf replaced her clio for a clio iii, she said NO sunroof.

Good luck.

Cheers Squarehead. I'll see how I get on with it all on Saturday and report back with findings. Did you also remove the A-Pillars & the handle (and blanking plates) above the doors? Or is it possible to just get at the headlining by removing the sunvisors and rubber?

I assume the rubber re-attaches once removed?

And I also assume that head lining is held by clips similar to that the blanking plates above the drivers door?

I'll take some pictures of where I think the seals come away.

I spoke to a friends friend who's the manager for a local Autoglass and he said it usually is the frames that warp on them though and the best bet is to look for one from a scrap yard as "they're f00king expensive"

Funnily enough I typed clio sunroof on ebay and found that there's a guy in the south that repairs them and he says its water getting between the frame and the body. Which was my first thoughts after looking at it yesterday.

Had a really good look at the sunroof this morning while we had some dry weather and noticed that the frame has lifted from the roof of the car ever so slightly. So I went down the following route (maybe overkill but while I'm at it):

Removed the glass from the sun roof and removed the rubber seal. Cleaned the seal and dried it. Also cleaned the groove as it was filthy and dried all this with a hairdryer. Used some 'powerbond' to stick the seal in position and then also ran some powerbond around the seal edge aswell once it was fixed in position.

Then I removed the rubber from around the sunroof, pulled the headlining down and tightened all the bolts as they were between half a turn and a full turn slack.

Once I done this I then masked off around the edge of the frame and ran the powerbond around the edge of the frame and fillings the gaps where it had lifted away from the roof. Hopefully this should do the trick but wanted to let the powerbond cure before I tested it out.

So fingers crossed it'll all work and be hunky dory again. 2 degrees isn't the most pleasing weather to be doing that kind work in!!

Thanks for the help guys and I'll let you know if it leaks in again.

Well got up this morning aftert a very heavy nights worth of rain and although the headlining has a small wet 'strip' right on a corner where the headlining drops in to allow the visor to sit flush. It is nowhere near as bad as it has been previously.

The leak is definately between the frame and the roof, and not the seals between frame and glass as this part is completely dry.

All I can assume is that I've still not completely sealed it as I only applied a small sliver around the whole roof due to the fact I wanted it to be neaqrly perfect. Looks like a bit more will be applied when I get back from football this afternoon. I'm starting to get a bit disheartened by the whole thing again, but won't give in!!!

YES!! Looks like I've got it after a second application. Its been raining night and some of today and not one wet spot.

I might start to charge on the Clio Owners club as the garage up the road from me said it was 4hrs labour to repair and that just involved tightening bolts up!! joke!

Thanks for the help guys, the girlfriend owes you a few beers!