Heat from the auto box?

ma'z'y

Im not sure if this is normal but the other day after driving a while i noticed alot of heat coming from the panel/cover which has the D,N,R,P letters on it. So is this ok or does is suggest i need fluid change in the transmittion? Or...... could it be that the heating for the car is routed via this panel and thats why it feels hot ??

I get this too sometimes on a long run. It can't have anything to do with the auto box fluid because it's nowhere near this part of the tunnel. I think it has much more to do with the transfer of heat from the exhaust. Mine has been doing this for nearly three years now and nothing untoward has happened so don't worry about it.

I'd noticed something similar about a year back and a half back. Managed to get hold of proper digital gauges. Normal running temperature is about 36/37 degrees (on the right hand portion of the plastic as you mentioned), this was testing using 3 different 350's, driving over the same circuit.

So after testing my Z was getting up to about 42 degrees. Had a trans fluid change not too long after that and it all settled down.

Is your trans at all graunchy at all??

I'd noticed something similar about a year back and a half back. Managed to get hold of proper digital gauges. Normal running temperature is about 36/37 degrees (on the right hand portion of the plastic as you mentioned), this was testing using 3 different 350's, driving over the same circuit.

So after testing my Z was getting up to about 42 degrees. Had a trans fluid change not too long after that and it all settled down.

Is your trans at all graunchy at all??

Mine does jump a little when you go from drive to tiptronic in first

thats quite interesting, iv not really noticed it being graunchy but i might go get the fluid changed anyway, cant imagine its an xpensive job(?)

I can't help you on that one, as I'm the otherside of the world, and I didn't have mine done at a dealer.

Mine does jump a little when you go from drive to tiptronic in first

I've not noticed that with my Z, pretty smooth always has been.