My Zed and Honda civic type R

TheOracle

On my way home from the in-laws last night I had some idiot right on my tailgate coming out of the village. Anyway, just outside of the village is a nice straight slip road leading onto a duel carriage way leading into Dorchester (Dorset). As you start to enter the slip road you can see if any cars are coming from behind; the coast was clear, roads almost dry so I decided to go for it. I was in second gear and accelerated hard up to the red line in every gear until I was doing 90ish, the car behind was still on my tail :scare: At this point I eased off the loud pedal back to 70, the car behind did the same. I was amazed that the car behind had kept up (at this point didn't know what it was) so continued at 70 to see if he would overtake so I could see what it was; eventually, the guy overtook me. I couldn't believe that it was a Honda civic type R (08 plate); I know these are fast but thought the Zed would have the edge. Is my Zed slow?? Only had it a couple of weeks.

NB: I do not condone racing and would argue that I was not racing, just entering a duel carriage way rather quickly :teeth:

Stuff like that has happened to me before buddy.

I think the Zed is probably quicker than a stock Type R but its cheap as chips to remap the ECU, change the air filter etc.

My mate has the old shape on an 02 plat and has spent about £2k on performance mods and his Type R kept up with my old Zed!

has been said before, it also depends on the driver.

i'm not saying your a bad driver, but it has been mentioned before that some good drivers can keep up in a crap car against someone who is less expereienced in a faster car.

for instance, redlining the zed of gear changes isn't the most optimal change point, the touque drops off at around 5500 (i think from memory, can normally tell by the feel)

may be they had the revs high already so was already in vtec mode when you pulled off.

but to be honest that wouldn't make much difference. could easily have been played with and tuned up.

I had a new shape civic type r 07 plate and compared to the z for acceleration there is nothing there till about 6,000rpm then it takes off.

As you say you was already moving he was probably sat behind you on the powerband waiting for you to gun it.

If you put them both from a standing start he would not have stood a chance.

And it depends on how much fuel you were carrying vs him, and it depends on your weight vs his.

Funnily enough I had a type r on my back end last night he didn't keep up with me, not that much in it but I could see I had the gain. Then I slowed down and he must have been in the 8k - 9k range 'cos it made a right noise going past, not sure if I liked it but it sure sounded like the engine was screamiiiiin!

I have a 2001 Civc type r that is compleltly stock and it show up alot of big cars. The gearing on them is so short that they acclerate quite quickly. I have showen up a few E46 M3's round my way.

Great little cars but as said you have to drive them freaking hard to get them to perform.

I have a 2001 Civc type r that is compleltly stock and it show up alot of big cars. The gearing on them is so short that they acclerate quite quickly. I have showen up a few E46 M3's round my way.

Great little cars but as said you have to drive them freaking hard to get them to perform.

agreed - I was impressed with the one I had (53 reg). If I wanted a hatch I would get another without hesitating.

agreed - I was impressed with the one I had (53 reg). If I wanted a hatch I would get another without hesitating.

Would you stick with the same shape or go for the newer model?

Would you stick with the same shape or go for the newer model?

Prefer the older one to the new shape. Just don't like the new shaped civic in general.