Interesting communcation I've had with BOSE

hagar

now we all know that the unit in the Z is made my Clarion, however, I sent this email recently to the BOSE technical help team:

I have a 2004 model Nissan 350z. I've tried to speak to my local Nissan dealer with regards to the CD's skipping but they have not been helpful.

I understand that on the earlier systems that BOSE has recognised a fault with the systems and that my Nissan dealer should replace or recondition the unit.

Can you please confirm this and tell me if there are any TSB's that either BOSE or Nissan can refer to?

Thank you

Michael

I then received this today:

Dear Mr. Burns,

thank you very much for your note.

We are very sorry to hear that you have problems with the CD changer in your Nissan. But unfortunately we have no chance to help out because this unit is definitely no BOSE product. As we know, the radio/CD unit comes from the supplier: CLARION. When your dealer is not willing to change/repair this unit you could also try to find a service point from CLARION in the UK. Maybe they would be able to repair the defective CD-player directly ?

We like to point out again, that we are very sorry not to be able to help directly and we hope, that you will find a solution soon (maybe an other Nissan dealer ? ).

Thank you for your understanding, we remain with

now I accept what they say that it is not their unit but it is yet more pillar to post peeing about.

I shall now forward the BOSE reply to Clarion to see what they say

Guest prescience

On what basis do BOSE permit their name to be associated with a Clarion product that's what I'd like to know. I mean obviously its a financial one but to blatantly say 'its not our problem' calls their reputation into question.

Or is it just me?

i have the bose on the GT

Teddy, I suppose I'm being a little grumpy today but with past experience of customer (lack of) service I think its always best to be as prepared as possible before going to the stealership.

I'll give them a tinkle see if they have any internal/public tsb's

Guest prescience

As far as I understand it and I'm pretty sure, the 'BOSE' is a clarion with a BOSE logo/label

Well, my left channel completely packed on during CD play a week or so ago and hasn't worked since. Skipping when cold is also there, so I'd be interested in hearing how you get along.

I've gathered some "evidence" about the problem too, but when I get time to visit the garage, I want as much as possible ready to hit them with when I arrive.

Yep - its a clarion through and through, with the BOSE logo on it.

I think there are a few components that are BOSE, the sub and speakers. (hence the 2ohm resistance).

The head unit itself is manufactured by Clarion, I have in the past been informed by BOSE that they have taken this particular issue up with Clarion, as obviously BOSE didnt want their name attached to substandard equipment.

Apparently an issue was fixed on earlier models, so a NEW headunit (and by new it has to be new, not a refurb from someone else who sent a faulty one back) should cure the problem.

I would respond to the email from BOSE stating that you are dissatisfied with a product that has their logo on it. Are they satisfied to have their logo on a stereo which has a known fault?

This BOSE badged stereo has put you off buying any BOSE equipment in the future, and you will be reccomending your family and friends stay away from them as they clearly are only interested in your money, and not the manufacture of quality goods - or they would be more interested in the faults displayed by this unit they deemed worthy of their logo...

That should make someone listen. (pardon the pun)