sat nav.. cost of fitting and is it worth it ?

cerealuk

Still on the hunt for a 350z, one of my requirements is sat nav, just wondering how expensive it is to buy a birdview system 2nd hand and how hard it would be to fit it? Also what is the general opinion of the factory fitted birdview system? I like the look of the large screen and controls but currently I am turning down nicely priced 350z's due purely to them not having the satnav so wondering how viable it is to buy one without and fit it afterwards..

also a real quick noobish question.. silver and gun metal..I am right in thinking these are 2 very different paint jobs ? :)

I wouldn't be too worried with the Nissan system. A tom tom is a better sat nav or you could have a beast of a media unit installed for the same price.

Silver (called blade) and gunmetal are very different on the car. Both suit the car well so it's personal preference. You get painted ones too if you want to be different.... ;)

Birdview is pretty good but doesnt take postcodes. Also at £1800 fitted it is too expensive. Get a TomTom and use the money for other things.

Having used a TomTom for the last couple of years I really didnt like the Birdview system and thats why I dropped it off the list of "must have's" when purchasing my Z, I use the space saved to keep my TomTom in ;)

thanks for all the feedback so far, starting to agree with you all and I like the idea of fitting an entertainment system in the cubby hole :) Can anyone recommend any good "how to" links (apart from obviously the wealth of info on this forum which im now going to plough through) :teeth:

Also just how much space is there in the cubby hole? :) I didnt think to look when I took one out for a test drive the other day :wacko:

The Birdview isn't such a bad bit of kit if you buy it already fitted in a second hand car, as i did.

Couple of issues though.

1. NO POSTCODE SEARCH, really pain in the ass having to know the full address.

2. THE NAVIGATION AND TEXT ENTRY, slightly frustrating with that little joystick.

Definitely NOT worth buying one to fit, too expensive, Garmin or Tom Tom is your best bet.